Stroker Died tonite! Barely got it home - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stroker Died tonite! Barely got it home

So, this may be a little vague, so please ask questions as needed, but here goes.... BTW, The truck is an 01' F-250 7.3L crewcab

I drove the truck for a short trip (about 5 miles) and the truck was running great, we stopped at a friend's house for about 5-10 minutes, if that, left the truck running and then we left out of the driveway, and once we pulled onto the main road the truck starting running REAL rough. I limped it home for the remaining 1 mile to our house. The truck remained very sluggish the whole way. I haven't gone back outside to try and start the truck again (been about 30 minutes now since I just barely got it back into the driveway.

The truck had a mild but noticeable miss and we just recently replaced the IPR valve. The truck then ran great again and just now, after about 5 miles or so after picking the truck up from the shop, it started running horribly. We have just under a quarter tank of fuel left in the tank FWIW.

ANY HELP AT ALL? PLEASE!!! .........Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2009, 07:15 PM

Okay, Just started the truck and it runs good again. Low fuel light just cut on. It had nearly a quarter tank when it starting running like it was on 2 cylinders and losing power. Now the low fuel light is on and the needle is almost right on the last line. Could this be a faulty fuel gauge maybe?
Old 07-03-2009, 07:23 PM

Also, I noticed that once the wait to start light went out, that the fuel pump (if the fuel pump was what I was actually hearing) was making a noise that pitched up and down, then was steady for a moment, then pitched up and down again before I actually started the engine. Thanks
Old 07-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
do you have a scanner to pull codes?
Old 07-03-2009, 07:38 PM

I don't. Any recommendations on a good affordable scanner? Also, I've been looking into a TW Chip. Would this have scanner capability?
Old 07-03-2009, 08:06 PM

so did you put fuel in it to see if it runs better?. and no the TW cant scan for codes. edge, bullydog and sct programmers can though.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

When was the last time you changed your fuel filters and drained the water separator? Autozone or Advance will pull the codes for free till you get yours. I woul fill it with fresh fuel and add a fuel conditioner such as Stanadyne. Hope it levels out for you!
Old 07-04-2009, 05:37 AM

Did not put any fresh fuel in it yet.

New fuel filter was added in with a fresh oil change while it was in the shop getting the IPR valve replaced.

Can you help me more with the water seperator? Gimme a quick breakdown on that, where it is, etc? And what are other good conditioners if I can't find the Stanadyne in the local autozone/advance?

Thanks for all the replies.....
Old 07-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Banned

Before you put fuel in I would pull the bed up and remove the sending unit on the left side. Check it for clogs. Its a simple job and is worth the effort. Especially if you already have the tank drained. THEN fill it up and check it. Your water seperator is your Fuel Filter. Has a drain on the back of it. And for an additive. Pour a quart of Power Service in.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Have you had any luck with it since your last post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.