Best oil for 7.3L? - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I use Royal Purple in mine, but mostly because of the abuse and intermittent service she gets, I figure it gives me a bit of a buffer. Or I could be completely wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2009, 07:12 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
I use good 'ol Shell Rotela 15-40. I work at Jiffy Lube right now so I get 50% off!!! No more $83.53 oil changes. And I get to top off the leaker all the time which is nice if you have a 7.3, b/c they do tend to leak.

We do have Penn Synth Blend 15-40 that I was thinking about trying on my next change since I'm due. We also have Rotela Full Synth 5-40 that a lot of diesel customers swear by.

Really and truly though, as long as your consistent with changing the oil AND oil filter...your good no matter what you use.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I like rotella but its all personal preference
Old 07-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghillie View Post
Agrees with supercruty: Any of the top named dino oils will work-->Delo-Rotella-Mobil Delvac.-->All 15W-40. If you live in a colder region, ya might think about pouring in a synthetic 5W-40 yr round. If ya use the dino 15W-40? Don't go past 5K miles between your Oil change. If ya use the 5W-40 synthetic? You might beable to go to within the 5K to 10K mile mark without a by-pass system installed. Make sure too use a good oil filter... like
Motorcraft FL-1995
Fleetguard LF-3630
Wix 51734
Baldwin B7039
Mobil 1 M1-601
Amsoil Ea0-99

Clean oil plays a major part in keeping your 7.3L running like new... Never skimp on a cheap oil filter.
My International dealer sold me a LF9027, I hope it's the right one! Is it a good filter?
Old 07-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I use Valvoline SynPower 5-40W with WIX or Napa Gold Filters. (Napa Gold Filters are WIX filters)

I have been using nothing but SynPower 5-40W for the last 10 years or so due having a mixed fleet of gas and diesel engines. It's one of the few oils that exceeds all current service requirements of both gas and diesel engines. I also double the normal service interval. Example 5,000 miles becomes 10,000 miles and 50 hours becomes 100 hours between oil changes. The extended service intervals help off sets the higher cost of synthetic.

Only having to buy one oil for all engines sure simplifies servicing all the cars, trucks and tractors around the place.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:48 PM

I have always use Esso XD3 and never had any problem at all
Old 07-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditty View Post
I use good 'ol Shell Rotela 15-40. I work at Jiffy Lube right now so I get 50% off!!! No more $83.53 oil changes. And I get to top off the leaker all the time which is nice if you have a 7.3, b/c they do tend to leak.

We do have Penn Synth Blend 15-40 that I was thinking about trying on my next change since I'm due. We also have Rotela Full Synth 5-40 that a lot of diesel customers swear by.

Really and truly though, as long as your consistent with changing the oil AND oil filter...your good no matter what you use.
Bingo..............enough said.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I use 14Qts of Rotella 15-40 with 1Qt of Lucas Oil Treatment with a K&N Oil Filter

I change mine about every 5-7K my truck sees alot of highway miles and 5K comes very quick. If i am going to do a long haul tow I will change the oil no matter how long it have been
Old 07-05-2009, 06:20 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Also.... Have the oil tested for the driving you do. Just because someone can go 10k
on the oil doesnt mean that you can. Contaminates and the HPOP in every 7.3 kill oil. It is very
rare to find any truck that can go over 5-6k before the oil needs changing using test results.

Just because the bottle says you can run it twice as long, it may not be true in your
engine. If running a bypass filter, intervals can usually be extended much longer.

Use a name brand oil, get it tested, change as often as the tests say so.

I change at 5k because that is where the Delo in my engine starts to break down and
the contaminates start heading up.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:15 AM

I just got off the phone with those Blackstone Lab guys and boy, they are a helpful outfit! Sending me a test kit as we speak. Good stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.