7.3 reliability - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 reliability

Okay, I just want to throw this out to see if others have had the same experience. I bought my 2000 f350 psd with about 50000 miles on it. Since then I have put 80000 more for a total of 130000mi. I have had to repair or replace: water pump, front bearing assemblies, all the u joints, brake rotors, a couple of calipers, rear yoke and pinion seal, clutch, rear main seal, ball joints, glow plugs and harness, cps, blown out a hpop seal, door lock actuators, and maybe a few other things I can't remember. Now today I took the truck to my mechanic to check out a vibration in the driveline and it turns out that I need to rebuild the rear differential. I love my truck but it seems like I'm having an inordinate number of issues. I baby my truck and am meticulous about maintenance. So here's the question: Is this an anomaly or is it normal to have to do so many repairs on a truck in 130000 mi? I'm starting to get discouraged this stuff is getting expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

I have done many of the repairs you have listed and i have 127k some of the stuff is pretty common for the truck
Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs View Post
I have done many of the repairs you have listed and i have 127k some of the stuff is pretty common for the truck
This truck has been the most expensive vehicle to maintain that I have ever owned. I joke with my buddies that it is a hillbilly Ferrari.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

Ya i hear ya i guess if you want to play with the big toys you gotta pay the big bucks
Old 07-01-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs View Post
Ya i hear ya i guess if you want to play with the big toys you gotta pay the big bucks
Yeah, every time that I have one of these big ticket repairs I think that I've fixed everything that could possibly go wrong. Now I'm wondering what's going to be next.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:44 PM

i have all the service rtecords from my 95, and i've actually done most of the repairs starting at 175k. It's still on it's original tranny, and spent the first 150k under a four car gooseneck. the HPOP was replaced at 105k, and i've done UVCH's, repaired wiring harnesses to the VCG's, water pump, fan clutch at 180k, injector rings at 188k, and am going to have to replace my front end soon. Two batteries and a starter at 183k, still had original starter in it. now i know it's had the window lift motors replaced, ive done two. my rear door locks dont work, and i've had a few issues here and there, but i feel i've been lucky with mine. If you've got only 130k on the clock, and have done all this, it seems to be an excess of repairs.

maybe it was beat on real bad before you bouht it????
Old 07-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

the worst part is once you've gone thru it it will probably be time to start over again
Old 07-01-2009, 06:47 PM

In your list you only have 5 repairs done to the engine. Waterpump is common around 100K, glow plugs and harness hit or miss around 100K, CPS is just when ever. As for the rear main are you sure it wasn't the boost boots leaking and just the oil seping out of them that made it appear the rear main was leaking? At least you don't have to worry about blowing headgaskts and EGR's.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005F250 View Post
In your list you only have 5 repairs done to the engine. Waterpump is common around 100K, glow plugs and harness hit or miss around 100K, CPS is just when ever. As for the rear main are you sure it wasn't the boost boots leaking and just the oil seping out of them that made it appear the rear main was leaking? At least you don't have to worry about blowing headgaskts and EGR's.
When I had the clutch done we noticed the rear main was weeping a bit and decided to go ahead and fix it while the tranny was off.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianstew View Post
i have all the service rtecords from my 95, and i've actually done most of the repairs starting at 175k. It's still on it's original tranny, and spent the first 150k under a four car gooseneck. the HPOP was replaced at 105k, and i've done UVCH's, repaired wiring harnesses to the VCG's, water pump, fan clutch at 180k, injector rings at 188k, and am going to have to replace my front end soon. Two batteries and a starter at 183k, still had original starter in it. now i know it's had the window lift motors replaced, ive done two. my rear door locks dont work, and i've had a few issues here and there, but i feel i've been lucky with mine. If you've got only 130k on the clock, and have done all this, it seems to be an excess of repairs.

maybe it was beat on real bad before you bouht it????
I'm not sure what the history of the truck was but it had low miles and appeared to have been taken care of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.