First time owner with a few general and mod questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First time owner with a few general and mod questions

After admiring for a few years, I finally took the plunge and bought an '02 F-250 PSD, with 122,000 miles. Never owning a diesel before I had a few questions. My two biggest goals right now are to make the truck last as long as possible and improve fuel mileage (although I have been known to have a heavy right foot on occasion )

The truck has already had the muffler cut off and straight pipe welded on, so I've been looking at installing an intake and getting it chipped. What chip has the options that most improve economy? Is it worthwhile doing a DIY intake?

Is there anything else a new owner should do/avoid? I'm all ears
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

avoid edge products and k&n filters!!! to keep it on the road just maintain it well. oil, filters, shocks, fluids are all very important. DIY is the best low cost way to go for the intake. most guys agree that its better than any $400 afe or k&n setup. for the chip custom tunes is the way to go. talk to raul at stealth automotive he'll hook you up with a TW. or you can go with a DP.. both are awesome. last but not least GAUGES area must even for a stocker... any means of monitoring vitals such as exhaust temps and boost pressures are must haves. good luck with ur new truck!!! and welcome to the org!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Is there anything else a new owner should do/avoid? I'm all ears
Asking questions about MODS Sure hope you saved a few bucks to feed the MOD FEVER your about to develop
Old 06-30-2009, 08:35 PM

try to cap ur spending at 5000... haha
Old 06-30-2009, 08:39 PM
I need money...

Welcome to the .org!!

There are many awesome tuners out there. Its a matter of making some calls and picking the one you like the best. With a 6 position chip (the most popular),you are limited to 6 tunes. Dp makes an 18 position tuner I think. All are switch on the fly. I chose PHP because I like the 6 position chip but I didnt want to be limited to 6 tunes and have to send it back in for reburns if I wanted different settings. But they thought of that...

NEVER Pay for New Calibrations!

It took me a long time to pick a tuner for my truck. This is just an idea but there is alot out there. As stated before, stay away from Bully Dog, Edge, and Banks (I ran Banks for a while,over priced and didnt add much power).Just make sure you do your homework and pick the tuner you like the best.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
my suggestions are gauges first. you will need boost, pyro, and trans temp. as far as the intake goes the S&B intake is the best bang for your bucks full intake kit available. tuning wise i recommend the TW chip. we will be running a great sale on the this weekend and if you wanted a package deal price i could do that too and save you some money...

-Raul
Old 07-01-2009, 09:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to nccatfan
How long is that special going? Been wanting a TW chip and gauges but won't have the money for a while.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by nccatfan View Post
How long is that special going? Been wanting a TW chip and gauges but won't have the money for a while.
its ony for this weekend.... fri-sun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.