How long will stock transmissions last? Usually? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How long will stock transmissions last? Usually?

I just bought my first PowerStroke and it has 200K miles, and is an 01' model with an automatic transmission. The truck is in good shape, but I don't how much it has been used for towing, but it's not set up for fifth wheel towing.

My question is, as a rule, about how long are the transmissions good for in these trucks? If they've been taken care of, serviced on time, and used for limited towing, how long they good for?

Secondly, what's an average cost of a transmission rebuild and/or replacement???

Thanks......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2009, 08:21 PM

your average cost for a rebuild is about 2000-2500, for a new one i paid 3600 with a 1000 core charge for the old one. i bought mine directly from ford with everything new except the bell housing and it comes with a 100,000 mile full coverage warranty. i personally think the 4r100 is a piece... i have had the pleasure of putting 3 in my 99, and 1 in my 02. i dont recomend a rebuild either... you may get 5000 miles out of it before it just breaks again. i dont run hot tunes either. then a gain i have a buddy with an 01 one-ton dually that he hauls hellacious loads with and his trans. has pulled 180,000 miles without ever skipping a beat. my advice is just dont mess with it until it breaks, and when it does put down the cash for a factory rebuilt or a hi-pro trans from somewhere like sunco or ats.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Serving Our Country!

Why spend money on 3 or 4 4r100
when you can buy one from
Brians Truck Shop
and be done with it. Just my 2 cents.
Doug
Old 06-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Emergency Services

I consider the life of a 4R100 to be about 120K miles. If this truck you are looking at has 200K, them most likely it has had a new transmission at some point. I've heard of them lasting that long, but not very often.

If it breaks, it will cost around 2000-2500 for a shop to rebuild it for you. I would only take my transmission to a shop that I knew would do a complete rebuild though. A reputable shop will replace every expendable part in the transmission, and replace any re-usable parts that there is any question about. Not all shops do this. The will take it apart and look to see what's wrong with it. If it has a cracked drum, they will replace it and put it back together. And then give you a $2500 bill.

I have had Ford rebuilds, and I can't say anything bad about them. I have also had a friend who is an AMR mechanic build them, and does a good job for a little less than Ford charges. I trust him to do as good or better job than Ford. If I didn't know him, then I would definitely go with a Ford rebuilt one.

The other option is spending about $2000 more ($4500 total) to get a Suncoast built transmission that is guaranteed forever practically. Brian's Truck Shop (BTS) also does a hell of a job too for around the same money..
Old 06-28-2009, 07:05 AM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
just keep em cool
Old 06-28-2009, 08:24 AM

my stock one lasted about 125000 my rebuilt one lasted 25000 i need a new one right now we flushed it yesterday and there was at least 1/2 cup of metal at the bottom .......... NOT GOOD
Old 06-28-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorking View Post
just keep em cool

Give me some ideas on how to do this. Upgraded trans cooler maybe?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2009, 08:57 AM

call John Wood when your trans goes out and you'll be set
Old 06-28-2009, 09:01 AM

my truck has 102,000 miles and the trans gauges it starting to climb. it used to stay around 120 but now she runs at 180. is there anything i can do to make it last longer. im in the process of trying to get some of my money back from the 5 trannies i had to but in my dodge so i cant afford a BTS tranny yet. Where can i find a 6.0 cooler?

oh sorry to hijack the thread
Old 06-28-2009, 09:09 AM

check ebay for the cooler. and when was the last time you changed fluid in the tranny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.