rear lift springs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 12:36 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rear lift springs

I have a 2000 f250 with an eight inch lift on it. In the back I have lift blocks ( a 2 inch stacked on a 6 inch) it was this way when i bought it and after pricing new rear springs the cheapest I can find is $650 plus shipping, which I am guessing would be alot since I am in alaska. I was just wondering if I would be able to use 2 inch springs or 6 inch and then use the blocks. If I did this would I notice any improvement in ride of would it be about the same? I would really like to just buy the 8 inch leaf springs but I can't afford them right now but really want to change the setup. Any input would be appreciated as well as some help on finding springs at a decent price.
Thanks

Last edited by gregor; 02-02-2007 at 12:47 AM. Reason: wrong info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2007, 02:31 AM
Premium Member

Hey Gregor, Are you talking about a 2'' and 6'' removable blocks? or is the 2'' welded to the axle (axle pad). Just trying to figure out if it's a 6'' spring or 8'' spring you need. if they are both removable, I'd just replace them with 1- 8'' block, that way you still have a decent ride and won't get a ticket for having stacked blocks under it. Then when the money is there get your springs. Hope that helps.

Gord.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Serving Our Country!

I think that they are two seperate blockts, I will check today. But is the ride quality better with the springs or is it the same as the blocks?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

I think you will find the ride is better with the blocks and stock springs, the extra arch on the 8'' lift springs makes them stiffer than the stock. And depending on the make of the spring they can get right hard, make it ride like a buckboard. But that's a matter of choice. Some people like the harder ride, others prefer a ride closer to stock.

Gord.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:19 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
If it is 2 seperate blocks you need to either weld them together to make one solid block or get new springs and use one set of blocks. Stacking blocks is not a good idea as one may slip out from under neath the other and that would be ugly. As fas ride comfort goes, i think you won't notice a differance if you go with 6 inch lift springs and the 2 inch block. Most of the ride comfort comes from shocks. The springs support vehicle and load wieght the shocks give you a smooth ride or a stiff ride.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

Only to a point BC, the more arch in the spring the harder it is to compress, I agree with you about the shocks controlling the ride, but only to a point. When Dodge increased the length of the springs on the 94 model trucks, it smoothed out the ride tremendously. When I pulled the blocks out of my Blazer and put the lift springs in, it was a much firmer ride with the same shocks. When they are made as a lift spring, they have to be a little stronger to hold the lift, otherwise the spring will start to flatten out over a period of time. that's one of the reasons you don't really want to use a re arched spring, eventually it will start going back to it's original state. Just my opinion, but i did research it when I did the V8 swap into my 81 toyota 4x4, with a 6'' suspension lift and 3'' body on 38.5s. Hope that helps.

Gord.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Premium Member

Sorry BC, I do completely agree with you about stacking the blocks though, it is unsafe at the best. It was so bad here at one time that people were using hockey pucks as lift blocks in there trucks FRONT AND BACK, I'm not the smartest cookie in the bag, but that's insane.

Gord.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:17 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat View Post
Sorry BC, I do completely agree with you about stacking the blocks though, it is unsafe at the best. It was so bad here at one time that people were using hockey pucks as lift blocks in there trucks FRONT AND BACK, I'm not the smartest cookie in the bag, but that's insane.

Gord.

Stacking blocks in the state I live in and some of the sorrounding states it is illegal to do this. Now you can take 2 blocks weld them together to get one solid block but you can not stack to blocks on top of eachother and be legal. It is unsafe. I never recommend it I have seen what damage can be done if it is done.

You mention hockey pucks, I used to use hockey pucks for body lifts. Stack three ontop of eachother use a quality construction adhesive and put them in a bench vise over night. The next day put them in the drill press and drill the hole straight down the center of the stack. Works great and hockey pucks love the cold weather in Michigan. There for unlike the standard polyureathane blocks for body lifts hockey pucks won't break in the winter.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Premium Member

Ya, It's not legal here any more either, and that's good as far as I'm concerned, as A body lift, I can see your point, If they are attached as you describe, but most won't go to that much trouble to do it right, so that's a no no here as well.

Gord.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

So if I weld the two blocks together would that make legal? or would it just be a temporary solution until I can get the money to do it right? I found a set of 6 inch springs for $250 and I am just waiting to hear how much shipping would be so hopefully I will be able to fix this very soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.