Bed Removal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 09:06 PM
I need money...

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bed Removal

So this weekend i tried to remove the bed of my truck to fix my air dog install. Dropped the tank initially but wont do that again! So the first 2 bolts came out no problem. The rest of them wont budge. I broke 2 T50 bits trying to remove them. One of the guys that works at the hobby shop on base said ford uses threadlock on those bolts.(he used to work at ford) So after he said that he just walked away. No help or anything like that. So what penetrant will loosen those bolts up? Im a fan of PB blaster but not sure if it will be good enough on that threadlock. Its the blue threadlock to!! Any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

my buddy owns a body shop and last month he had to take the bed off a 06 f250 and he said he will never do one again. He tried welding nuts on top of the bolts to use a socket. but as soon as he started to budge them the nut on the bottom broke loose and there is no way to grab hold of that one to hold back. he ended up just digriding them off. it took him a while and he swears he wont work on one again. good luck let me know how you end up doing it.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:20 PM
OperationSmile.org

Heat the nut with a torch. The nut will expand and it will be easier to get off. Whats wrong with dropping the tank? Its fairly simple and easy on our trucks. I pulled mine (1/2 full) and replaced it by myself in my driveway in under 3 hours
Old 11-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Emergency Services

Bed Bolts

I agree, Heat is your answer. The locktite will let loose once it is heated up. Use an impact if you have one. The combination of heat and the rattle of the gun work great together.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:25 PM
I need money...

I thought about dropping the tank again but i would rather pull the bed. I have some rust spots id like to take care of and i have never pulled a bed off before. So another check in the box. So heat is the answer!! I will give it a try!!
Old 11-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Premium Member

I am not sure its even the blue locktite that ford uses, Its the fact that the water is channeled down the bolt into the nutplate, then rusts itself together. Happened to me with my 2000 Ranger that I was putting a body lift on a few years ago. Probably your best option is to take big drill and drill out the head of the bolt, once you have the bed off you can either cut the rest of the bolt off and replace all those bolts and nut plates you cant get loose. Buts its going to cost you about $75.00 in replacement hardware.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
use heat on the nut?? what nut? the nut/flange that hooks onto the frame? you may be able to heat some of them up but 2 of them are right next to the fuel tank. I had a problem with 4 of mine coming out. the previous owner has a 5th wheel in there and where the bracket thing was the bolts didnt want to come out. I also have a LineEX liner in there so i couldnt take much heater to anything. i pulled out the grinder and just took the head right off the bolt so that the bed would just lift over the bolt. i replaced all the bolts with a bolt with an actual nut on it not that stupid star bit BS.

marty (maintain) did something like that but he actually welded the nuts on, its a pain in the butt sometimes to get the bed off for the first time. and btw i broke like 2-3 bits myself
Old 11-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Emergency Services

Bed Bolts

If you try the heat, you don't HAVE to use a torch. A good heat gun will do wonders, and it is safer around the fuel tank, even though diesel takes a ton to get cooking. But if all else fails, just cut the heads off like mentioned above, then when you reassemble make sure and use some never sieze for future removals.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
a heat gun to loosen up the blue locktite that the factory uses? idk about that. i used a torch and couldnt break it loose.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:57 PM
OperationSmile.org

I got mine off by using heat. Used that technique on multiple trucks. Just point the flame towards the gastank. A good 1/4 piece of steel as a barrier would come in handy as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.