Broken step bar fix - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 05:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Broken step bar fix

Doing this write up to hopefully help others with broken step bars. It saved me about 350-400 bucks compared to new step bars and well worth it IMO. This is my first write up so be easy on me lol.

I have the Go Rhino modular 6000 series wheel to wheel step bars powder coated black. A couple weeks ago I was standing on the rear step getting something out of the tool box and WHAMM! Elbows into top of bed and step bar into driver door. I emailed Go Rhino about the situation and never heard anything so I figured I'd fix it myself.

Inside diameter of pipe in step bars was 1 1/4'' so I went to Lowe's and got a 30'' 1'' black iron pipe. Outside diameter of pipe was an 1 1/4'' perfect.

Cleared most of the rust inside the pipe of the step bars and put about 6 inches of iron pipe inside. A 3 lb hammer was helpful. I welded it in place even though it probably wasn't needed as it was a very tight fit.

Than I realized I wouldn't be able to hammer the other half of the step bar much less get it in the right spot while doing so. I used a grinder to take off some of the metal on the remaining 6 inches sticking out of the step bar and test fit every couple rounds with the grinder to insure a tight fit. While test fitting seeing the marks on the shiny metal helps indicate where more metal needs to be removed.

After getting a nice tight but slip fit I put the two halves together and installed on the truck so they would be in right spot and not turned when I welded the metal strap around the bars to close up the gap.

Once the strap was tacked on I used a heat gun on high (don't own a torch) to help in bending the strap around the step bar. Heating and bending than welding every inch or so worked great as to not letting the strap be to far away from the step bar.

Used a grinder to clean up the welds for good finish. Spray painted the area black and went ahead and did the whole step bar and the passenger side as well while I was at it.

Not a great welder by any means but can get the job done.

If you already have a welder and grinder this will cost you less than 25 dollars. I didn't have either and since I don't use them but maybe 2-3 times a month tops I decided to go to my local harbor freight and buy them.

Tools-
-90 amp mig welder harbor freight-105.99
-grinder harbor freight-15.99
-iron pipe lowe's-13.24
-flat iron lowe's-4.92
-bolts,washers,lock washers lowes- 5.76

All said and done I fixed my step bars for around 155 dollars vs buying new ones for around 500 dollars. Tools and materials paid for themselves about 3 times by fixing instead of getting new steps.
Attached Thumbnails
Broken step bar fix-step-1.jpg   Broken step bar fix-step-2.jpg   Broken step bar fix-step-3.jpg   Broken step bar fix-step-4.jpg   Broken step bar fix-step-5.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 05:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Couple more pictures to finish it up. Forgot to snap a picture after grinding the welds down for a clean finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Broken step bar fix-step-6.jpg   Broken step bar fix-step-7.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bar, broke, fix, running board, step

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.