Headlight conversion question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 07:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Headlight conversion question

I have a 2000 super duty with the big, honkin' "aero" headlights. I'd like to change them out to the smaller sealed beam lights with the plastic bezels around them. Does anyone know what all I would need to do the switch as far as parts? And are the plugs the same for the bulbs, or would I have to do a little re-wiring? And does anyone have them laying around they'd like to get rid of?

I want to switch from these to these
Attached Thumbnails
Headlight conversion question-104_43.jpg   Headlight conversion question-20378d1366279262-2000-f-350-super-duty-headlight-trim-removal-f350-headlight-trim.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The lights you want to switch over to are lights that came on the XL or base model/work truck packages. On higher trim package trucks XLT above, the aero lights came on these units. They are 2 different plug ends that aren't interchangeable, if I remember right.

The aero lights use a 9007 bulb and the XL guys are sealed beam units and are of a different a wiring configuration.

Get the Sylvania headlight restoration kit and use that on your aero lights. Makes them look brand new and it does last a very long time. Take your time when sanding and take them out of the vehicle also, when restoring the lights.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Replace them with '05-'07 headlghts. I have done so on 2 of mine and its worth it. I used a relay conversion wiring harnes from GOS Racing... makes wiring pluh-n-play. Cutting the header panel can be done in about an hour... lights can be had on ebay for cheap. I used after market ones (eagle eyes was the brand) with good luck so far.

This might be easier than the old style sealed beam lights.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-29-2014, 03:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I don't like the look of the 05-07 grille/headlights at all. I just painted the matte grey part of my grille black, and left the chrome. I really like how it came out, but it needs more black to make it look right. I think if I put the XL headlights on it and paint the bezels black it will give me the look I desire. I don't really care about easier. I'm willing to do the extra work to get the truck looking the way I want. Thanks for the thoughts and input. I'm just waiting for one to show up in the junk yard now.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You really want to down grade your headlight performance just for the looks of them? FYI sealed headlights are a lot more expensive to maintain since you have to replace that whole unit not just the bulb. Do what you want to your truck but doesn't make a lot of sense in my opinion.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:25 PM

I agree with the others, the only possible reason you could be doing this is for looks and there are many other options in that department.

Check out a write-up I did a while back..
Head to Head Headlights
The Following User Says Thank You to the1laf For This Useful Post:
delta99 (02-02-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 06:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will335i View Post
You really want to down grade your headlight performance just for the looks of them? FYI sealed headlights are a lot more expensive to maintain since you have to replace that whole unit not just the bulb. Do what you want to your truck but doesn't make a lot of sense in my opinion.
At $12 I'm not really concerned about them being "expensive." And FYI, there are drop in replacement units available which accept a lot more cheaper halogen replacement bulbs. Not really an issue for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1laf View Post
I agree with the others, the only possible reason you could be doing this is for looks and there are many other options in that department.

Check out a write-up I did a while back..
Head to Head Headlights
Yes, as I stated in my OP, the only reason I could be doing this is for looks. Thank you for the link, you have a lot of good info there. I am now thinking of getting a set of black 02-04 headlights. Not exactly the look I want, but still better than what I have, and better performance than the sealed beams.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and input
Old 02-01-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta99 View Post
Yes, as I stated in my OP, the only reason I could be doing this is for looks. Thank you for the link, you have a lot of good info there. I am now thinking of getting a set of black 02-04 headlights. Not exactly the look I want, but still better than what I have, and better performance than the sealed beams.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and input
Sorry I didn't make myself clearer, I meant the only reason to justify that headlight is in a show truck, where performance wasn't a factor..

I'd recommend the orange for a smoked corner light while you're at it. IMHO it looks so much better.

Also I'd recommend higher wattage aftermarket replacement bulbs. Since that write-up I pulled the HID's because of the trouble they had turning on @ below zero temps and went with PIAA 85w/75w direct replacement bulbs. They're a happy medium between the HID's and stock (65w/55w) bulbs.

Glad you liked the Write-up, give me a "Thanks" if you don't mind, I'd appreciate it.
The Following User Says Thank You to the1laf For This Useful Post:
ande6009 (02-13-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 06:33 PM

The sealed beam lights have adapters on them from xlt harness to xl plugs from factory trucks just an fyi. You shouldn't have to rewire it. All u need to do is take them off the truck you're takin the lights off of

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricemiester For This Useful Post:
delta99 (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm going to go with something like this

I like the stock orange marker lights. Not sure yet if I'll switch those out for smoked

And the1laf, I gave you some thanks. That was a great write up, and very helpful. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.