Restoration? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 09:37 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Restoration?

I was wondering how much do you guys think it would cost to make my truck look like the day it came the factory?

The paint all around is in about 95% good condition it just has light minor scratches, and the lining around the bed is rusted a bit, there is also a small dent in my rear bumper and a decent sized dent in my driver side front panel. Also is there anyway to restore the bedliner to make it look nicer or is it better to just get a new one? How much do you guys think it would cost to knock those things out? An is there any DIY things I could do for these to save money.

Here is some pics of the rust.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'd start by treating her to a nice full exterior detail at a professional shop. THey can buff it out to a great glossy finish that looks basically brand new. And I would ditch the drop in bed liner for some Line X spray in. Those two things alone will have the truck looking great.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:42 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700hauler View Post
I'd start by treating her to a nice full exterior detail at a professional shop. THey can buff it out to a great glossy finish that looks basically brand new. And I would ditch the drop in bed liner for some Line X spray in. Those two things alone will have the truck looking great.
Yea when believe it or not but the truck was never waxed once so I'm amazed that it still looks like that. But i'd love to get that done so hopefully it isn't to expensive. Well that bedliner came with the truck day one and was abused since day one so I'm surprised there still is a bedliner. I was looking at the Line X but saw a lot of posts saying shops wanted about $600 for doing it and that isn't in the budget right now, being as I'm getting my leveling kit, steering stabilizers, shocks and lights installed on Monday as well as new off-road tires. I was also looking at Rhino which is a lot cheaper but heard they suck and start to chip after being used. So is their any other good companies?
Old 01-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have you pulled the liner out of the bed? I would bet there is a quite a bit of rust underneath that thing...especially if it has been on it since day one.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

There are a few different companies out there that do the liner. There is even DIY stuff you can do yourself but I don't have any experience with how durable it is. I do know that Line X is the way to go. If it ever chips or anything they will fix it free of charge. It's definitely a worthy investment. I've seen tons of horror stories where beds rust through due to the plastic liner trapping moisture and dirt between it and the bed. I had my truck fully detailed where I lived for about $100 and it looked like it just rolled off the show room floor when I picked it up. Just shop around and see what they charge in your area.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Serving Our Country!

Nope I have yet to pull out the bed liner, I'll probably do that over the weekend to do a inspection.

I know there is roll on liner and I think it works the sameway as if your painting a house with those roller brushes.

I'll look into it, I went looking online for DIY kits that include a ton of things such as this.
Amazon.com: Meguiar's Complete Car Care Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiar's Complete Car Care Kit: Automotive

Would it be worth my time and money or am I better off having a shop do it?
Old 01-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Serving Our Country!

Also the rust in the second pic is on the cab of the truck and is only the short line it doesn't go all the way down. The truck used to be loaded as if it was a dump truck so it's probably light rust due to the chipped paint and such.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

So I tried taking the liner off and the bolts in the hooks in the front are rusted shut and I almost broke my ratchet trying to take them off, but I was able to lift up the bed liner near the tailgate a little bit and this is what I found.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Am I able to do the spray on liner over the rust or do I need to get rid of it all first?
The rust is mostly on the parts that are raised and the yellow is just from my flash on the camera.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You're wasting your time and money if you put something on over the rust. And you are looking at quite a bit of work to prep the bed for proper adhesion/protection with any type of liner you apply. In my opinion, especially at this point, it would be worth every penny to have it Line-X'd. But that's just what I would do.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:57 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700hauler View Post
You're wasting your time and money if you put something on over the rust. And you are looking at quite a bit of work to prep the bed for proper adhesion/protection with any type of liner you apply. In my opinion, especially at this point, it would be worth every penny to have it Line-X'd. But that's just what I would do.
Well I went to their website and requested a quote for their basic liner so hopefully it's cheap enough. Do you have any of companies in mind that also might be cheaper? I don't use the bed that much anymore and all it holds is a spare tire so I don't need the best and toughest product out there, just something that looks good and when I do need the bed it won't scrap off the moment I use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.