HID's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 06:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HID's

Well, I finally got a fat ole' bonus check this week. So I bought a set of tires and new headlights for my truck. Both of which were needed. The headlight lens was cracked. Now I'm going to go ahead and jump in and get HID's. I'm not wanting to spend more than like $85-90. Bi-xenon (that's hi/low beam, right?), 8000k. Can anyone point me into the right direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 06:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
#1 - SEARCH this Forum for HID info, there are Lots of good posts here about what you're about to do...

IMHO

8000K is Blue (like the ricers have) and actually not as bright as 4000K (White) will produce.

Trucks look silly over 6000K

BiXenon is a Mickey Mouse system where by you take an out-of-focus pattern and make it even more out-of-focus as a low beam. It sucks, Always!

The housings you have are meant for a filament bulb. They are designed for that bulbs length, width, and light characteristics produced by that type of bulb. When you put a totally different light source, where ALL those things are different, you produce a Blinding, Scattered, Mess that, although it's making more light, doesn't throw like it should and just makes you obnoxious to other drivers

You simply Can't get good lighting from the wrong housing/bulb combination. I know it's easy, I know it makes you feel like you've made a big improvement, but in reality, you create a problem for oncoming traffic and don't get 1/2 the benefit of HID in the projector housing.

Sorry,,,,
Old 12-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i had HID's the bi-xenon ones ... garbage man it distorts the light so bad i was not happy i went back to stock bulbs but after market ones like the silverstar ones.
if you get 8000k than your lights will be blue like the mexican lights on their trucks not vein racist i am a mexican but it looks like **** and its not even bright enough i would recommend like 6000k its got a bluish tint to it but other than that i didn't find it worth it... it was so bad i couldn't even use my high beams cuz they scattered everywhere .... just from my knowledge

if you do end up finding something that works really good and you like let us know about em
Old 12-18-2013, 02:03 PM

ddmtuning.com. Buy the 55 watt 6000k hi/low kit. I have had them on about 5 vehicles and work great! I have tried the silver star bulbs and what ever Advance Auto Parts sells and they DO NOT compare to the HIDs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-18-2013, 03:27 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by c dog View Post
ddmtuning.com. Buy the 55 watt 6000k hi/low kit. I have had them on about 5 vehicles and work great! I have tried the silver star bulbs and what ever Advance Auto Parts sells and they DO NOT compare to the HIDs.
AND,,, when people FLASH you because you're crappy set-up is blinding them, what do you do????

You become Cartman?

Wha-Evaa,,, I DO WHAT I WANT!!!
Old 12-18-2013, 04:05 PM

Let's not turn this into a debate about HIDs. Stick to the original question. I simply answered his question on what I have used.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
The housings you have are meant for a filament bulb. They are designed for that bulbs length, width, and light characteristics produced by that type of bulb. When you put a totally different light source, where ALL those things are different, you produce a Blinding, Scattered, Mess that, although it's making more light, doesn't throw like it should and just makes you obnoxious to other drivers

You simply Can't get good lighting from the wrong housing/bulb combination. I know it's easy, I know it makes you feel like you've made a big improvement, but in reality, you create a problem for oncoming traffic and don't get 1/2 the benefit of HID in the projector housing.[/i]
Absolutely correct! Don't be that guy!
Old 12-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Only real way and correct way to run hids is with an hid projector, don't put hid bulbs in halogen reflector lights (our trucks have halogen reflector headlight system). Hids were designed to be used in a projector, not a reflector (chrome shiny part that disperses the headlight pattern beam. Read the link in my sig for a write up on how to do it.

Don't be another guy running a crap chit "hid kit" in a halogen reflector headlight...

Old 12-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi I have HID's 6000k in my truck and there are awesome so worth it and replacement bulbs are cheeper then regular ones & u don't want it to blue the cops can give u a hard time and even give u a ticket with them to blue so I've been told hope this helps u out.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ran View Post
Hi I have HID's 6000k in my truck and there are awesome so worth it and replacement bulbs are cheeper then regular ones & u don't want it to blue the cops can give u a hard time and even give u a ticket with them to blue so I've been told hope this helps u out.
do you have a video or anything or pics you can show that has the setup you have cuz i still have my HID's and want them back in but thats right the reflector housings suck!!!! whats your set up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.