4x4 conversion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
4x4 Conversion (with pics!)

Today I began my 4x4 conversion.

I got an entire axle, hub to hub, all steering linkage, leaf springs, and driveshaft for $200. I ended up getting the track bar mount, shackles and mounts, pitman arm, and all the extra nuts and bolts I needed when I went to pick up the axle. I was extremely happy when I found out that the guy that had the axle also had these extra parts because I had been searching around looking for all the certain nuts and bolts. I'm going to get a track bar tomorrow for $25.

I have never done more than somewhat help my friend do a 6" lift on a super duty and leveled another. This really hasn't been too hard, I do have 3 full weeks until I go back to school so I was in a rush to get this started in case I ran into any major problems, but nothing seems like it's going to give me any trouble so far.

Here's the truck before, I wish I had full side shots and measurements before.

Here's everything I got for $200

Nearly everything out of the truck

The passenger side I beam off the truck

Finally got everything off, ready to roll axle under it

This is when I mount the track bar bracket, put the 4x4 pitman arm on, and mounted shackle mounts.

Slowly getting the axle there...

Almost there!

We had to use these straps to hold the axle level, naturally it wanted to roll back because of the differential

Finally got it all bolted up!!

With the jacks out

The stopping point for the night.

I still have to bolt up the drag link, track bar, get new rotors, bleed the brakes, and get the old spring buckets off I'm having some trouble with the rivets but they're slowly coming off. Shouldn't be too much left!

Last edited by 7.3pwrstrke; 01-12-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7.3pwrstrke For This Useful Post:
barracuda426 (11-29-2014), dfuzz78 (12-14-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 06:42 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Looking good glad to see someone finally documenting it. So what's the plans for transmission and transfer case?
Old 12-13-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyryan07 View Post
Looking good glad to see someone finally documenting it. So what's the plans for transmission and transfer case?
Nothing really just yet, haha! I'm 19 and full time at FSU so money is very slow right now. I'm going to weigh out my options and get something in there eventually.

I'll probably just get a divorced 205 then get the driveshafts shorten/lengthened
Old 12-13-2013, 07:24 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thats a lot of fab work for the 205.. I'd hold out for a bit and try to find a 4x4 trans and 273, then your not stuck with custom front and rear shafts and it'd be all bolt in I don't think there was even a pcm change for the 4x4 but I could be wrong. I also believe all the wiring is there for the 273 setup, its just tucked in the wire looms somewhere.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyryan07 View Post
Thats a lot of fab work for the 205.. I'd hold out for a bit and try to find a 4x4 trans and 273, then your not stuck with custom front and rear shafts and it'd be all bolt in I don't think there was even a pcm change for the 4x4 but I could be wrong. I also believe all the wiring is there for the 273 setup, its just tucked in the wire looms somewhere.
Yeah, that sounds a lot better. It'll be a while until I end up doing it, so I'm sure I'll find something eventually.

If this guy would answer me, I'm going to get the track bar now.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:06 AM

Alright, so today I got new rotors, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and went to pick up my track bar. I drove 2 hours to get the track bar and on my way there the guy said he wouldn't be able meet until an hour after I'd get there, ended up waiting 2 hours after showing up just for the guy to say he couldn't meet. Soooo, I went home empty handed.

Buuuut, I got a few other things done. Such as:

Bought new rotors and mounted up the brakes, the rotors on the solid axle I bought were in rough shape and the 2wd rotors are different. 2wd brake pads/calipers DO fit on the 4x4 axle. I wish I never took the brake lines off the calipers, would've been less of a mess and no brake bleeding involved.

Got the drag link mounted up, I was lucky enough to get the stock 4x4 pitman arm, I got that on the night before.

This is when I went to go get the track bar. Left at 3, didn't get back til 9.

Then got back to work on the rivets for the 2wd coil buckets. My method for getting the rivets out was to grind an X into the rivets, then used a harbor freight air chisel to get into the lines of the X and tear each 1/4 of the rivet head off. Then I used a needle-tip/pinpoint chisel to push the rivets through the holes. Worked pretty well!

This is with the top 4 rivets out, then there's 2 more on the bottom. 1 on each side of the bump stop. I was able to grind the heads of some of these completely off then push the rivets through with the chisel again.

Got one side off!

These rivets have been through hell

Bolted shock mounts up

Here's everything that's come out of this, plus some.

Got the brake lines bolted back up

And a beauty shot after cleaning the garage up a little.

Not sure if I'll finish it up or not tomorrow or sunday but all that's left is:
Bleed brakes
Mount ABS sensor, I wasn't sure where exactly it went. But I think I've got it now.
Get a track bar/mount it
I stripped a nut on my drag link so I'll steal one off the 2wd drag link
Add some power steering fluid (my leaked out somehow, for some reason the cap doesn't want to stay on)
Mount tires
Then alignment
There's also a few brackets I'd like to remove from the 2wd I-beams just so they don't hit the axle if it flexes too far. But they're all bolt on.
I don't have shocks yet, but it'll be fine until I get some.

Last edited by 7.3pwrstrke; 12-14-2013 at 12:10 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 7.3pwrstrke For This Useful Post:
dfuzz78 (12-14-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 07:28 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
looks good. good job. rivets suck but that is the best way i have found if a torch is out of the question
atf not power steering fluid. look at the zone off road adjustable track bar. $79(i think) and it would work now or later if you leveled it up
Old 12-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Man, this has been a dream of mine since I bought my 2wd...

Great job and thanks for documenting it!
Old 12-14-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomer pyle View Post
looks good. good job. rivets suck but that is the best way i have found if a torch is out of the question
atf not power steering fluid. look at the zone off road adjustable track bar. $79(i think) and it would work now or later if you leveled it up
My friend actually brought a torch over (you can see it in the panoramic picture, at the bottom of the picture below the floor jack), but it just wasn't getting anything done.

Why do you think it's tranny fluid, I mean it is red, but why would it come out? I could've sworn it was shooting out of the power steering fluid top. (Maybe I cut a line)

I was going to get a Moog DS80797 track bar, but I didn't even think to get an adjustable one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuzz78 View Post
Man, this has been a dream of mine since I bought my 2wd...

Great job and thanks for documenting it!
Thanks, man! I really appreciate it!

I'm only 19, the only help I've had was from a 19 year old friend, and a some from a 17 year old. (He's the one with the torch, second jack, and a few other rather common tools that I didn't have.)
With that, and what I said in the first post, I've never done more than help with a 6" lift and about a month or so ago I leveled my first 7.3 by myself. If you have an impact wrench, sockets, ratchets, maybe a grinder and a cheap air chisel it really isn't more than that.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:47 PM

Today I bled the brakes, then went to go mount the ABS sensor but I couldn't find where it bolted in. After looking for nearly an hour and searching online for an answer I just gave up and zip-tied it to the brake line for now. If anyone can help me out with this I'd be very thankful! I found that most trucks have a mounting hole behind the rotor and dust shield but couldn't find anywhere on my truck.

After I basically gave up on finding the ABS sensor hole, I ended up flushing the steering fluid system. I'm pretty excited to see how the steering feels now, it was getting pretty hard to turn with the 2wd front end so I'm hoping this helped.

Now all I have to do is mount the track bar, bolt the tires up, then get an alignment.
Tomorrow I guess I'll remove most of the 2wd brackets that I was going initially leave in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.