F250 Bed Rail Cap Removal and Aftermath - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 11:44 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F250 Bed Rail Cap Removal and Aftermath

During the second phase (rear 1/2) of bed-lining the exterior of my truck, I decided it was time to pull the bed rail caps.

We are bed-lining our ENTIRE truck, not just the bed. Since we're going to be using spray-on bed-liner (Monstaliner), the caps aren't important to protect against damage.

If you are just bed-lining the inside of the bed, I would NOT remove the caps. You will probably destroy them, and there are dozens of holes underneath them. I'll be filling mine somehow, because I'm a fool, but I've heard replacement caps are expensive.

Nevertheless, if you're dying to remove your plastic caps, there are clips underneath that can be squeezed with pliers to release them. HOWEVER, not all the clips can be accessed, so some require a bit of prying. If you pull directly on the plastic, it will fold over and break. If you pull too close to the clips, you may tear the clips right out of the caps (see photo). Lastly, if you yank too hard, you'll bend the sheet metal in the rails (see photo).

The best bet is a long pry bar that you can slide under the caps, and get close to the clips. Good luck, if you goof it up, you'll be left with this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2013, 12:37 PM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
damn, so looks like you have some bondo work ahead of you! Why are you lining the entire truck?
Old 12-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

I've had mine off since I painted. I had minimal damage, I found once you got it started just wiggle side to side pretty hard and it would release the clips.

I did have to hammer down a few spots.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I changed mine when I bought my truck, wasn't hard and although I don't recall exactly what I paid for them (online dealership), I don't think they were expensive....
Old 12-04-2013, 03:30 PM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Guys.... You know the diamond plate caps in the OBS trucks????????

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-19-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-7.3L View Post
damn, so looks like you have some bondo work ahead of you! Why are you lining the entire truck?
Old thread, but I never saw a notification. I bed-lined the whole thing a few weeks ago, but it's white. I decided not to fill the caps, because they would need to be welded in. Bondo would have cracked apart if any stress was put on the rails. I just plati-diped the caps black, and threw them back on.

I looked for replacements, but didn't see anything I liked. Diamond plate is out because I don't have any chrome on my truck. I found clean looking black caps with no stake pockets for a long bed, but not the short. Oh well. On to bigger projects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.