Electrical geniuses I need some input ( kc lights) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Electrical geniuses I need some input ( kc lights)

Wired some kc driving lights to my truck this week. Used this diagram here:

http://support.kchilites.com/index.p...h&attach_id=20

I used a 3 way switch (on-off-on). This way I can control them with high beams, have them off, or have them on without high beams. Everything works great! I used an add-a-circuit as a switched 12v source. I tied into a circuit that has no power when the keys are removed from ignition. This way should I accidentally leave my lights on, they will shut off once the keys are removed. I have several more sets of lights I want to wire up this exact way. If I were to use an add-a-circuit for each switch (like I did on this install) well, thats a lot of wires coming out of my fuse box. My question, Is there a cleaner way of getting that switched 12v power to multiple switches? I don't wanna have to use an add-a-circuit for every switch. Can I piggyback off of one add-a-circuit to any given number of switches. It makes sense (to me anyway) that I could. The switch powers the relay and the relay then powers the lights. It takes less than half an amp to power a relay. So, I'm thinking that piggybacking off of one 10 amp add-a-circuit to multiple switches should work(????) I've tried to make this as clear as possible. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 07:37 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to wvrrcarknocker
Okay, you want ignition hot, right? What I would do, is use a relay to feed power to a 6 gang fuse block. Use wires off of the 6 gang to power each switch. The best way to do that would probably be to mount the 6 gang and relay somewhere under the dash. There is an ignition hot signal wire in your customer accessory circuit( should be Light Blue with a Pink stripe). Then i'd run say a 12ga red in from your battery + to pin 30 on relay. Your ignition hot will go to pin 86. Pin 85 to battery -, and 12ga red from pin 87 to 6 gang. Now you have 6 fused outputs to power individual switches. If you give me a little time, I can mock it up, take pics, etc.

Last edited by wvrrcarknocker; 11-28-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:52 PM

Cool! If you could do pics, diagram, etc.. I'd love it. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:29 AM

Okay bear with me. This doesn't translate as well as I have it in my head, because I do this all the time. If you have any questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to bring them to my attention.

Sorry for the poor quality of this image, my scanner is not currently working, so I had to take a photo of an already poorly hand drawn electrical drawing, but it should get the point across. The ignition hot source is Light Blue/Pink wire coming out of the firewall, it will be in a bundle behind and to the left of your brake pedal.

6 gang

Bosch 40A relay

If you figure out where you'd like to mount these, I can probably give you approximate lengths of wire or even make up a harness for you that you would just have run the wires, cut to length and splice them into their appropriate wires. Hope this helps!

Old 11-28-2013, 08:04 AM

Got it! Makes total sense to me. Only question I have is, when I ground 86 do I have to run a wire all the way the negative side of the battery or can I just ground it under the dash somewhere? I think (hope) the only difficult part will be finding and verifying that hot ignition wire. Thank you for clearing all this up for me. I'm sure I'll have some more questions for ya.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:12 AM

You could ground it under the dash. I have done it for small things, but for this since you're already running a hot to the battery, running a ground to the battery isn't any harder. With a load that could be up to 40A, I wouldn't trust a dash ground. That Light Blue/Pink Stripe wire is easy to find, should have a tag. Just for your info, there should be a grommet in the drivers side floor, behind the felt/cardboard material, behind the brake pedal and to the left. I'm used to working on 2011+ so some of my info may be incorrect. Let me see if I can find a 2000 upfitters guide to verify the wire colors.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:19 AM

I was incorrect, in a 2000, the ignition hot will be Light Blue/Pink stripe. Pre 03 upfitters guides are kinda tough to locate, but google came through on this one. I have edited all my previous posts to avoid any confusion
Old 11-28-2013, 08:22 AM

Oh, and I just noticed. You want to ground pin 85, not 86 as you stated in your question. 86 is the Ignition Hot signal input.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:23 AM

Thank ya sir. I'm gonna take a stab at it over this weekend.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrrcarknocker View Post
Oh, and I just noticed. You want to ground pin 85, not 86 as you stated in your question. 86 is the Ignition Hot signal input.
my bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.