RECON headlights - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 12:26 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RECON headlights

Just finished the install of my headlights and I wasn’t too happy about the fact I had to cut the header panel……but they look great, now for the issue. I have a shadow beam across the light beam??????????????? At first I thought it might be my bug shield so I opened the hood but nope, so any ideas on what this is? Or is this just a result of the lights design?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Recon does a great job of looking great
Old 09-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Which model did you use? and the only way you would have to cut the header panel is if you used the 05-07 lights... as for the "shadow beam" post a pic and I can try and help you diagnose that
Old 09-14-2013, 02:33 PM

I called them direct and there answer was because I have an 2002 four door and on there web sight they have the directions on where to make the cuts(check it out if anybody is looking to do this) didn't sound right to me and I asked about returning them and was given a BIG FAT NO! I have had them to long?????? it took me a few to get around to the install. I will try and see if I can get a pic.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Cutting the header is needed when using any of the 2005 and newer lights, either that or use a newer header panel as well. I know you don't want to hear this but I have been reading a lot about Recon being nothing more than a relabeler of the made in China cheap headlights that are sold on Ebay for 1/3 the price. They aren't close, they are the same exact light. If I were you I would start with sealing the lights to prevent any moisture issues, either with a plastic welder and a good silicone. Are you running HID's because HID's are suppose to use a different reflector.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:14 AM

ATTN: Ford Superduty 99-04 Crew Cab Owners:
You will need to make a few simple modifications to the mounting area of your 99-04 Ford
Superduty truck only if you have a ”Crew Cab” body style. The modifications are simple and
straight forward…basically you must cut away some of the body behind the headlight where we
have clearly marked with black x’s on all the images located below: Im not sure about the 05 or new lights but this info is from there web sight, I don't think it would matter what lights you use you still will need to cut the header. But thanks for the info on sealing the lights as for the bulb im just using the bulb the headlights came with.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:32 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
well HID's don't use a reflector at all, they're designed to be utilized in a hid projector, see the link in my sig for how to do a retrofit. I just sold my 6.4 and one of the first things on my list is to do the 05 headlights and a hid retrofit on those. 2 years ago I had a 05 and was 3/4 of the way done with the retrofit when the truck was stolen. So i bought a 6.4 and did the retrofit on it. Best headlights PERIOD! Don't run the cheap chit hid kit in your stock reflectors, you'll just be disappointed again. Retrofit is the best way.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Speaking of HIDs. I need some help. I love my headlights, but I have/want to run HIDs, and my headlights are designed for normal bulbs. I'm still trying to decide if I should get projectors because I'm not a huge fan of the bubbled out parts. What do you guys think of these?

The only things that they have over my headlights is that I love the halos, and I can run my HIDs without scattered light.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Those have halogen projectors. The light output is poor quality on those lights. If you want a true hid set up that compares to the luxury cars hids, then do it as I described above. You'll never have halogens again after you have these. Look up my threads in the 6.4 electronics section. 2008 psd hid projector retrofit
Old 09-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It says they are HID projectors, and it comes with most of the HID kit pre-installed. And I'm not looking to do that much work really.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.