for anyone considering recon headlights... please read - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
for anyone considering recon headlights... please read

I have always wanted HID's in my cars/trucks. I have never really been able to afford a car that had them from the factory. my lexus is way too much hassle with getting a retrofit for projectors done and i daily drive it. i can't modify it because its my work.

the truck on the other hand my wife drives to work and back. i bought an HID kit from retro solutions(highly recommend) and cheapo ebay projectors(they suck).

so after realizing that these ebay lights suck, i called diesel power products(whom i will NEVER buy anything from again) to inquire about recon headlights. i asked if they were HID designed projectors or halogen designed projectors, and was told "HID" for sure. on that word, i ordered a set. they get here, and these lights are the SAME DARN THING AS THE CHEAPO EBAY LIGHTS

I am immediately fuming mad and call diesel power products to try to arrange a return based off of the false information their rep gave me.

At this point, i was told there was a 90 dollar restock fee, i had to pay for the original shipping to me(which was "free" at the time of order) and i also had to pay return shipping... so about 160 dollars i lose out on these crap headlights.

moral of the story is, if you are remotely considering recon lights or ebay headlights for projectors, DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY. i spent weeks searching here and on the internet whether or not to buy the recons or the ebays, and heard mixed results on both. I was not expecting ferrari lights after all, so i bought the ebays... they are cheap, they suck, and break easily. the recons are the EXACT SAME THING, just a slightly different design. they are NOT designed for HID's and even have a factory warning that says these piece of dog turd lights will get condensation in the lights... wonderful, the same reason i wanted to can the ebay lights.

so here is a giant F U to diesel power products for 1. lying to me, and then trying to bend me over on a restock fee cause your a-hole salesman lied to me and 2. bending me over on shipping.

i am going to use the recon lights for target practice because they suck. we have some tannerite laying around and will be blowing them to kingdom come.

please forgive my novel, i am STEAMING MAD.
for the TL;DR types cliffnotes:

ebay projectors suck
recon projectors suck equally as bad
dont try putting a proper HID kit on your truck that was designed for halogen lights, it doesnt work and you will spend a LOT of money for something quality.

a quality replacement headlight does not exist. I hope i can help at least ONE person out there save their money and not get scammed or duped into buying recon products or cheapo ebay headlights. PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat762 View Post
dont try putting a proper HID kit on your truck that was designed for halogen lights, it doesnt work and you will spend a LOT of money for something quality.
I disagree. I have had very good luck with my DDM Tuning HIDs. I have installed them on 5 different vehicles (2 Toyota trucks, BMW 5 series, Porsche 911 and a 01 F250), no problems yet. They DO work, they are very inexpensive (< $100 for a pair) and they produce a very impressive and safe lighting solution. My only objection is that they tend to create some interference in my ham radio.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamatoy View Post
I have had very good luck with my DDM Tuning HIDs. I have installed them on 5 different vehicles (2 Toyota trucks, BMW 5 series, Porsche 911 and a 01 F250), no problems yet. They DO work, they are very inexpensive (< $100 for a pair) and they produce a very impressive and safe lighting solution. My only objection is that they tend to create some interference in my ham radio.
Any you're one of those selfish A-holes, blinding oncoming traffic

There is NO WAY you're Not if you put an HID in a Halogen Housing! The reflectors focal point is All Wrong for the bulb, and you just have a scattered bright mess and don't have a clue as to what it should look like

To the OP, Recon is just a middle-man for Chinese products. All they do for you is Triple the price (I can't believe the "chumps" that buy their Led Lightbars...)
Old 09-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

That sucks, I have gone from 2000 to 2003 and then to 2005 when they came out. Just switching to the clear lense over the 2000 yellow'd lense helped out a lot. Then when used with the DFuser harness it helped out a lot. Are they HID's no, but they provide far more light than what I had before. I have seen far to many of the Ebay lights fail, sad that Recon is selling this crap.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:37 AM

Recon = crap product = crap warranty = crap company representatives

I didn't know you could find the same products without their brand for less

that is interesting it's like finding a pile of dog poo for 1/2 price LOL

OP thanks for the feedback

and I agree your a douche if you blind oncoming traffic just to appease yourself http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Last edited by ZMANN; 09-08-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Any you're one of those selfish A-holes, blinding oncoming traffic
And you, sir, dont know anything about me or what testing I have done on these lights.

Quote:
There is NO WAY you're Not if you put an HID in a Halogen Housing!
Hey, giver of wisdom, are you aware that the light enclosure can be AIMED? The cutoff line is clearly visible, and can be adjusted. And how do you KNOW that they lights on my truck are not aimed properly? You dont.

Quote:
To the OP, Recon is just a middle-man for Chinese products. All they do for you is Triple the price (I can't believe the "chumps" that buy their Led Lightbars...)
And I think you are being totally irrational. You have no facts, just a spew of emotion and an and irrational ranting. And BTW, those lightbars are GREAT for racing, boats, 4X4 offroad, getting to your deer stand in the dark, finding your way to the campsite after dark.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:00 AM

Old 09-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
And you, sir, dont know anything about me or what testing I have done on these lights.

Hey, giver of wisdom, are you aware that the light enclosure can be AIMED? The cutoff line is clearly visible, and can be adjusted. And how do you KNOW that they lights on my truck are not aimed properly? You dont.

And I think you are being totally irrational. You have no facts, just a spew of emotion and an and irrational ranting. And BTW, those lightbars are GREAT for racing, boats, 4X4 offroad, getting to your deer stand in the dark, finding your way to the campsite after dark.
are you aware that its against the law in some states to put HID's into a non projector housing? and yes, you are blinding oncoming traffic no matter what you think.

The entire point of this thread was to make sure anyone thinking about recon lights, or crappy retailers as mentioned above do NOT get your business.

recon sucks. i would NEVER buy anything made by them again, for any reason.

oh, and by the way, the lights are the same exact thing with a minor change in the housing cover in the back. otherwise, same freaking light as the el cheapo ebay lights.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:01 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Sure I do, you're the guy who puts an HID bulb in the wrong housing, therefore making the emitted light completely out-of-focus and scattered all over the place. I assure you, your experience with retrofitting HIDs pales compared to mine

Quote:
If what you've told us so far is True, I certainly do know! It has NOTHING to do with "aiming". It has to do with "focus". Yes, you can space the HID lamp back out of the, improper, housing and improve it a bit but you Can Not Fix it by Aiming (did you read the link ZMANN included? - Go get educated! ) Are you telling us your Halogen Housing had a shadow bar already installed in it?

Quote:
And I think you are being totally irrational. You have no facts, just a spew of emotion and an and irrational ranting. And BTW, those lightbars are GREAT for racing, boats, 4X4 offroad, getting to your deer stand in the dark, finding your way to the campsite after dark
Oh, you're gonna tell me about Led Lightbars?

NOW, I'm REALLY Throwing Light!!! 60-3W LED Light Bar

Drive towards Me with your HIDs all-over-the-place and I'll burn your retinas out.... -hehehe
Old 09-08-2013, 04:58 PM

I put hids in my 04 gmc they didn't have the little silver balls. Put out great light. Put them in a our Toyota mini van with the silver ball and they sucked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.