F#$%%#%@## frozen caliper slide pin - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
F#$%%#%@## frozen caliper slide pin

I am replacing the caliper pins on my SD and for the life of me i cannot get it out, i tried a wrench on it, then i stacked washers on the bolt that goes into it and went to town with a breaker bar...snapped the threads right off. soaked it in WD-40. I heated it up with a butane torch and still wont let go. I dont have access to an oxy-acetylene other wise id use that but short of that or completely drilling it out i dont know what else to do.

To give you an idea of how stuck it is, i could see the bracket flexing as i was torquing on it Any ideas how to get it out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Drill out the center to give it some relief, like you would for an ez-out. Sucks to hear you're having such an issue.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hey Pat, were you able to get the old bolt out? If so get some Loctite bolt freeze. That stuff is the cats arse. Spray that down the threads then put a longer bolt in and tap it out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon View Post
Drill out the center to give it some relief, like you would for an ez-out. Sucks to hear you're having such an issue.
Im really not looking forward to drilling it only because i know thats some tough metal if not grade 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
Hey Pat, were you able to get the old bolt out? If so get some Loctite bolt freeze. That stuff is the cats arse. Spray that down the threads then put a longer bolt in and tap it out.

No unfortunately it busted about 1/8th of an inch down. What would a longer bolt do? I can get a pair if vice grips on it and can put my full weight on it and it wont even budge. Im gonna take it to work tomorrow and put it in a big arse vice and try to get it that way
Old 09-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

mine was stuck so bad I welded a pair of vise grips to it and between heat, penetrating oil, more heat, more oil, and 2 days I was able to get it free. I don't really think there is an easy way, just a lot of time or replace the bracket if it's just not going to come out.

If you do get it out, clean out the hole. I used a wire wheel on a dremel and then clean it at work, You want it as clean as possible before installing a new pin.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
Im gonna take it to work tomorrow and put it in a big arse vice and try to get it that way
If they have a drill press at work, that would save a lot of cussing...
Old 09-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
mine was stuck so bad I welded a pair of vise grips to it and between heat, penetrating oil, more heat, more oil, and 2 days I was able to get it free. I don't really think there is an easy way, just a lot of time or replace the bracket if it's just not going to come out.

If you do get it out, clean out the hole. I used a wire wheel on a dremel and then clean it at work, You want it as clean as possible before installing a new pin.
Yea im gonna clean it real good if i get it out and i got the new updated slider pins that supposedly dont corrode as bad...supposedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon View Post
If they have a drill press at work, that would save a lot of cussing...
Hmm ill have to see i dont work in the shop so i cant remember if ive seen one or not
Old 09-04-2013, 05:02 PM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
If you don't get it out, you may need to go to the bone yard and get a new bracket!
Old 09-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thread a longer bolt in it, then put a pair of vise grips on the bolt below the head of the bolt then use a hammer to smack the vise grips kind of creating a slide hammer effect. I've used the loctite freeze at work and it really does do a better job than a torch. We used it last on a 2" diameter bolt that wouldn't budge with a torch.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Heat and beat. Worse case they are not too bad expensive at auto parts stores. Every store I called had them in stock. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.