Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

rzr on a kargo master rack

5K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  mikeprod92211 
#1 ·
thanks to Joel from this forum I now have a kargo master over canopy rack on my truck and i'm thinking about possibly getting a rzr. kargo master says that the rack is rated for 1700lbs and it looks like a rzr is about 1000lbs.

has anyone seen anyone haul a rzr or even a quad or two on one of these? i'd like to be able to do this so I still haul a regular travel trailer around instead of picking up a toy hauler big enough to haul a rzr in the back.

are the bedsides of the truck strong enough for this?

for anyone that isn't clear on the type of rack I have, it's one of these Pro II Full Rack Extended Cab, Long Bed | Kargo Master

#2 ·
If you have a long bed (link says long bed) why can't you just put the rzr in the bed?

I have seen some crazy loads in the past, but never a UTV completely above the cab of a truck. So I am subscribed to see what other members have to say.

#3 ·
I dont think it'll be an issue of holding it, but you're losing a ton of clearance by setting it up that high.

#4 ·
i'd like to put it on top so I still have the full bed with canopy for dogs and other camping stuff while still pulling a travel trailer behind.

it's a little less than 7' right now to the top of the rack and a rzr is just under 6' tall to the top of the cage so it would be about be at about 13' tall. I figure by the time the rzr and trailer are hooked the suspension will drop at least 2 or 3 inches.

i'm not really worried about the height, more the strength of the rack and truck box.

#6 ·
I think setting 1,000lbs up that high is just asking for trouble. Its going to make the truck very top heavy. I Have a rack that slides into the bed of my truck and I carry 2 ATV's side by side and tow a camper. I dont think I would want to place these more than maybe 6 inches higher. I have taken turns where I could feel the truck start to really shift with the weight above the bed rails.
I would recommend looking into a rack like I have. I know there are a few company's out there that make these racks for RZR's and other side by sides.
Here is a website for ya. UTV Transport

Here is what my rack looks like loaded

Hope all this helps and let us know what you end up doing.

#8 ·
an 11.5' camper weighs 4000lbs+ dry/unloaded with most of the weight somewhere around the top of the cab so 1000lbs at the top of the cab doesn't seem unreasonable. i'll probably need to put in a set of airbags to stiffen it up.

loading and unloading would be done with a couple of 14-16' aluminum ramps and probably use the winch on the rzr to pull itself up for safety.

#11 ·
Youre begging for police attention with a setup like that. Id have to check the books for technicalities but if I saw that myself, I'd have to pull you off the road anyway for an unsafe/dangerous load. It's not a matter of writing any citations and making anybody's life difficult but I couldn't witness a load like that and feel morally okay with letting it travel. Things may be different in Canada.

#12 ·
I've got 2 big dogs to haul around with me when we go camping so I kind of need the canopy.

13'6" is legal height without a permit. I figure it's going to be closer to 12'6" by the time it's all loaded up and on the truck anyway. i'll probably build the deck with divots for the tires to drop down into a few inches.

my biggest worry is the strength of the bed sides. the rack itself is rated for 1700lbs but how much can the bedsides handle before they start spreading?

#14 ·
Depends on where you're anchoring the camper and how tall it is but a rzr on a ladder rack? No. Don't get me wrong or anything-- I'm not trying to be a prick. I'm trying to save you from unwanted trouble. Do I personally think it'd work? It's hard to say but doubtful. I'd severely question its structural integrity and drivability on anything but a long, straight, level road.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. If you get in any sort of accident (regardless of fault), you will be found liable for your unsafe/dangerous load.

#17 ·
I got suckered into helping my father in law move some old lumber yesterday and ended up with about 1500 lbs (I think closer to 1800 lbs) of old rough cut 2x10's on the rack (22' lengths). it didn't feel like much.

I also had about 600 lbs in bed. I think it will be ok as long as I make sure there is some weight in back down low.... like a travel trailer attached to the rear.

I've driven trucks with campers many times over the years and my daily driver is a Mercedes sprinter high roof with about 200 lbs worth of roof and rack on top (10'6" tall). i'm used to driving with a lot of rocking and swaying so stuff like changing lanes on a rutted highway in high winds doesn't phase me anymore.

by law you're not supposed to have pets or people ride in trailers while being towed and I get the feeling that riding in a trailer down the highway isn't comfortable either

so in a nut shell, it's probably going to happen... just need to buy a rzr now. i'll even post the pictures on pirate. it will be funny to watch the sheep jump on the bandwagon.

#18 ·
Mmk. Just pray for an uneventful trip. Just remember: You're liable. If you so much as fart the wrong way while driving and something happens, expect full repercussions. :senile:

#20 ·
A UTV on a ladder rack :crazy: I can't wait to see this... I wouldn't want to be behind the wheel with 75-100% of my cargo capacity 6 feet above the bed, not to mention cargo with its own suspension swaying around!. WOW!
DON'T FORGET TO TAKE PICS BEFORE AND AFTER

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.