Rust on Rear Quarter panel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blizzardwarrior7
Rust on Rear Quarter panel?

I recently hear from somone that ford had a recall on rear quarter panels on 2002 Ford f350s, is this true? Both of my rear fenders are rusting right above the wheel well, but otherwise the rest of the body is in good condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd like to see something happen about this... I have an 03 f250 you can eat off of but it has little bubbles in the rear fenders above the wheels!
Old 04-27-2008, 02:47 PM

i will jump in and say im sooo not happy about my bubbles and rust on the wheel wells.... i bought the truck new and its paint is flawless, but its rusting in the rear, thought maybe they had it repaired and thats why its rusting but there are no signs of previous damage!!! FORD FIX THIS PLEASE
2001 f250
Old 04-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Banned

I have an option that will help you get rid on that rust.....lol

Cutouts,...and Herculiner...mine wasn't rusting,.....and hopefully it never will.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to blizzardwarrior7
I have read that it may be because of some sound deadening foam that ford installed between the two layers of steel, and it holds water and causes rust. I really hope that maybe it is covered under there 6 or 7 year rust through warranty that they may or may not have? Its so annoying, as its the only flaw with my truck, and sanding it out isnt going to do anything.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:19 PM

Im headin down TANK's path! How much do you remove with the cut outs??
Old 04-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Banned

give me a second....I'll post info and pics here....check back in a few minutes.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:22 PM

SWEET... If you have any info you could pass along about the Hurculiner too that'd be awesome! I PMed ya a while back about the hurculiner!
Old 04-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Banned

OK....here we go.

I special ordered my truck, and I got it straight from the plant,..brand new...

A month before I received the truck, I already had a plan,...I wanted NO lift, 36's and Bushwacker cut-outs....so I had the parts in the garage,...before I even owned the truck.

My wife told me I had to wait a week,...before I dove into the project,...I lasted 6 days, before I started cutting.

Now...for the record...I have NEVER modified any vehicle before this point,....so everything I have done to my truck up to now,..has been my first time....

So... if I can do it....anyone can do it.

First off...have someone help you...it's easier,..they won't have to do much,..if anything they'll be there for moral support,...and to fetch you beer.

Things you need,...

1. Standard garage tools....wrenches, sockets, utility knife, screw drivers,..etc
2. Nibbler....to cut the fenders...NOT A SAWZALL!!!!!...
3. Sawzall...to cut the bumpers
4. heat gun...to custom mold the inner fender well liners if needed
5. 3lb hammer...short handle
6. misc...tape, paper, rags, sharpie, tape measurer....and maybe a grinder(make things easier).

stock vs 36's (no lift)

This is how much room I had, trying to stuff 36's under the stock suspension,...obviously something had to go....turning radious was....ummmm....yeah.....ZERO...lol

Now the nerve-racking part....like I said...I had never done this before,..so I was cautious.

They send FULL directions and a TEMPLATE with the Bushwackers...so don't worry.

The first fender took about 4 hours,.,...I cut a little,...had a beer, cut a little , had another beer,...etc etc etc

In this pic,...I was no where near the "actual" cut line...I was just testing the nibbler, and getting used to it at this point....so don't freak out...lol

After doing the testing,..and knowing what I know now...IT IS VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO SCREW THIS UP....there is soooooo much room for error...a monkey could do this entire thing blind folded.

OK....here are some pointers.

tape off to prevent accidental scratches.

I also used HENRY 208 Roofing Mastic(brush on roof tar) to treat the cut edges....I HIGHLY recommend you do the same....3 years...not one spot of rust...do it.

Don't worry...the flares completely cover it.

As for the bumper...you have to do that last,..and you have to "eye-ball" a good line to cut,...use a grease pencil to draw a line that you'll want to cut....try to follow the arch of the flares...I didn't get mine exactly how I wanted it....but I made my own bumper...so it doesn't matter about matching once you put an aftermarket bumper on.

The flares come with a rubber edge molding, that goes between the flare and the fender,...I had some left over,... so I glued it to the cut area on the bumper.

Finished product:

Before:

After:

Schrapnel:

I think I covered everything,...hope so.... but if ya need anything else...let me know.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:22 PM

TANK you are the man! Your truck looks awesome too... it has come along way... even since then! Is the hurculiner pretty straight forward... I was goin to just add that between cutting the fenders and puttin the flares on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.