HID Headlights? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HID Headlights?

Ok...I think I am getting serious about getting some HID headlights. Who makes the best kits? I am looking for around 4000k-6000k color temps (I just don't like the "blue" lights) Are there any that have a high and low beam? Do the replace the lens and/or headlight assy? I just don't know that much about them, except they are much brighter with less power. I have been working on researching it, but this is one of the best places I know of to get just about ANY information for these trucks. Thanks for all the help.
-Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2008, 06:10 AM
Premium Member

Bump...

Someone has to have bought some that they either do or don't like.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I bought mine off a trusted buyer on ebay and absolutely love them! If you need more information just pm me and I will send you what you need.

The kit I bought comes with the HID bulb for the low beam, and a standard halogen bulb for the high beam; although you will probably never need the high beam bulb

The guy I get them from has them in all different bulb sizes and temperatures (i.e. 3000K - 12000K). I've got the 3000K in my fog lights and the 6000K for my low beams! Lights up a runway and look amazing. Hope this helps you out; let me know if I can be of more assistance.

Sergio
Old 04-15-2008, 06:29 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hids are not to be used in housings that are not designed for them! No housing for these trucks have been designed to direct the light coming off a Hid.

If you want the best lighting you can get then get Hellas harness and a set of their 80/100w 4k Kelvin bulbs. They have some great new bulbs to replace your factory fogs also.

Here is some reading:
There are kits available i which you replace the halogen bulb with a gas discharge bulb. The gas discharge light source is 2.5 times as bright as the halogen bulb and does not focus correctly within the headlamp, as the headlamp was not designed for this bulb. This creates excessive glare (up to 100 times), which blinds oncoming drivers, and is very dangerous.

Proof:Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Cary
Old 04-15-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
Hids are not to be used in housings that are not designed for them! No housing for these trucks have been designed to direct the light coming off a Hid.

If you want the best lighting you can get then get Hellas harness and a set of their 80/100w 4k Kelvin bulbs. They have some great new bulbs to replace your factory fogs also.

Here is some reading:
There are kits available i which you replace the halogen bulb with a gas discharge bulb. The gas discharge light source is 2.5 times as bright as the halogen bulb and does not focus correctly within the headlamp, as the headlamp was not designed for this bulb. This creates excessive glare (up to 100 times), which blinds oncoming drivers, and is very dangerous.

Proof:Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Cary
Not to knock on what you are saying (because this is in fact very true), but there are lots of things not "to be used" on our trucks that people own. It does scatter the light in our housings because they are reflective light housings, but that doesn't mean that they don't work 100x better than standard halogen bulbs. Even upgrading from Sylvania's you can see a huge improvement. I'm sure he has noticed this watching other cars/trucks drive past him on the road. The only reason it makes other people mad is because they are dumb enough to stare at the light directly! That's like saying we should oust the sun because it's too bright when we drive down the road! Just like Mom and Dad would tell you..."Don't stare at the sun, billy."

I have had these lights in every vehicle I've owned and have recommended them over and over. I've never gotten pulled over for having them and have even been right behind cops on the road at night with them on.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 AM

i agree too it does blind other drivers but w/e i'd rather me be able to see. i have a set i got off of HID Conversion Kits - Single Baam Model(H1/H3/H4-1/H4-2/H7/H8/H9/H10/H11/9004-1/9005(HB3)/9006(HB4)/9007-1/880/881) VVME.COM LLC Your Best HID KIT Supplier. i also put them in my buddies explorer and haven't had any issues. i've put them in every thing i've owned and that includes a 68 c-10, not one issue.

mine are 9000k

Old 04-15-2008, 07:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to etalian
HID's are great!!! I love mine. The best kit on the market in my opinion is McCulloch. But honestly, I really don't think it matters. I have 6000K for my low beams and I'm about to buy some 6000K's for my fogs. But one thing you want to make sure you have is a wiring harness. That way if something goes haywire, the fuse will blow instead of all the electronics on your light/battery or whatever. Good luck and you will love them!!!!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
mine are out of a nissan maxima..Id have quite a few sets. I love them.
heres a picture of my truck after I first got it, i over nighted my SCT and tinted my windows, put some HIDs in there and pulled the exhaust off to hear that 03 whistle. This was like 2 days after owning my truck.

Last edited by 03f250stroke; 04-15-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:46 AM

lol, wow evan looks a little different now
Old 04-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I got a set of 6000K Xetronics from buyeurolights, the are HID for both high and low beam. Cost a little more for the dual HID, but I feel it was worth the investment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.