Eagle Eye Headlight Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Eagle Eye Headlight Question

Just got these for my 2000 F250:

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Headlights at HeadlightsDepot.com | Top Quality Headlights at Affordable Prices

I'm working on doing all of the necessary cutting but I noticed that they came with bulbs in them. When I plugged them in with the included harness the bulbs are barely brighter than a candle. Do I need something to up the power going to the lights in addition to the adapter, or do they just put some crappy placeholder bulbs in there that you need to swap for legit ones.

Anyone purchased these before and can let me know what I'm missing (either bulbs or some additional power conversion)?

Also, is it necessary to chop or modify the directional plug to get it to fit into these lights? It looks like the plug from the truck has an extra clip that will not fit into the plug on the eagle eyes.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 11:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I bought some 2 years ago and they still look great. Although I didn't use their provided bulbs I used silver star ultras that were better than stock. Their should be no modification required. They just bolted right in
Old 06-13-2013, 11:21 PM

You need newer style bulbs. And I would buy the conversion harness from riffraff
Old 06-14-2013, 08:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here's the connector I'm using

Here's how the light looks with silverstar H13 9008 bulbs.

What am I missing here?
Old 06-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've noticed that switching to the high beams makes them even dimmer. I also tested with an ammeter and got 11.76 volts before and after the conversion connector.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:23 AM

When upgrading to 05-07 lights I used the relay harness from GOS Racing. About $80 with shipping but well worth the cost. Gets full power directly to the bulbs. Makes them as bright as posible. As an electrician I DO NOT recomend use of the adapter pigtail you posted a pic of. Result will be dim lights and higher strain on the headlight switch and wiring. Relay harness eliminates this issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply! Since my last post I figured out that the connectors I have were poorly put together. Wiggling some of the wires will provide a good connection and made the headlights work fine, so it looks like they just aren't crimped properly. I had them send me another set of connectors but i haven't tried them yet.

You mentioned using the relay kit from GOS. From what I'd been reading you only need those if you're going to do HID's or the like. I just want to move to the 9008 halogens, but it sounds like you know something I don't!

If I get the GOS harness will that make my 9008 halogens a little brighter? Is there a good guide to install those? Just want to understand why I'm buying them before I tell the wife I need to spend $80 more

Really appreciate you helping a newbie out!
Old 06-23-2013, 02:00 AM

Yes having relay harness will maximize output of stock style '05-'07 bulbs. Also prolongs headlight switch life by reducing electrical current load on the switch to fractions of an amp because the relay does all the work.

Will lights work with out relays? Yes. But they will work better, for longer, with the relays. In my opinion it's worth the money.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-29-2013, 07:07 PM

Did you end up ordering and installing the relay headlight harness?
Old 06-30-2013, 08:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not yet. For now I had Headlights depot send me a replacement adapter that worked properly. It's on my to do list along with a host of other upgrades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.