Mirror Help Needed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Is it even worth it???

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Mirror Help Needed

I'll cut a long story as short as I can and get to this. One of the mirrors (towing style) on my truck was damaged. I found replacements on Ebay, and opted to upgrade to the heated types. I started to install them today and ran into a bit of a problem. I need to run some new wiring to provide power to the heating elements. I would like to do this the right way, and route this wiring through the factory plug, there is room, and the plug on the new mirror is wired this way. My question is, where can I find the connection pins to attach to my wires and insert into the factory plug? Also, what exact pins do I need (brand and model or serial number)?

Thanks in advance for the help guys, I know that someone here will be able to answer my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2006, 04:23 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

I wouldn't be able to even guess where to get them, if it were me i would hit the salvage yard and try and find a factory plug that had the provisions for the heated mirrors and splice it in.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:25 AM
Is it even worth it???

Is that the best advice there is out there? I was expecting more. Marc? Somebody. Surely there is someone here that works for a dealership that could find me some info... maybe find out about getting me a plug that has the pins in it?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:28 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

Sorry the first post wasn't up to par but Ford does not service (sell parts) as just the pins therefore they do not have a part number. You could pull the pins and hit places like radio shack and try and find the pins to insert in your plug. When you start talking about plugs and recepticals you get into an issue where there are 5000 different styles (ford style, weatherpack etc) and your hard pressed to find where Ford gets thiers. Another option would be to go and get a weather pack connector with the proper number of pins and install it in place of the factory plug but then your not back to factory and i assuming you want to stay factory. Sorry I guess that's the best i can do for ya man.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Is it even worth it???

Ok... let me back up... I didn't mean to sound un-appreciative for the advice... I was just really surprised that it was all that I got. I haven't been watching this forum for very long, but every time I have seen anyone ask a question, it seems like there is tons of people jumping in with excellent solutions.

I think that what I am gonna do is to cut the heating element wires out of the plug from the mirror and put on a weather pack connector to attach it to the new wires that I am gonna run.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:14 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

Don't sweat it man, and don't think your post wasn't noticed or anything but you have a doozy of a question there. BTW you can pick up weatherpacks at any orielly's parts store. Let us know how it turns out man
Old 09-29-2006, 09:26 PM

When I fix factory harness problems on Jeeps I go to my local auto value store and they have the parts to fix gm and crysler/jeep harnesses, both male and female parts there are several other styles there. I bet one of them is ford. They even have a little tool that you shove in to remove or insert the new pin after the connection is made. It is really simple but tedious adventure. I recomend stopping by your ford dealer and talking to a tech. That was how I got turned onto how to fix the GM harnesses and the jeep's were the same way just diffrent style connector.

Good luck.
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.