RUST - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RUST

Just trying to get some insight on what to do. I bought a '03 F350 supercab long bed from up north that had a rust problem. I replaced the bed with a '08 due to the original being rusted away completely. The issue I have now is all four doors are ate up with rust on the bottom, the rocker panels on both sides are about 30-40% gone, and both cab corners are rusting out now. I dont want to just junk the truck since it only has 150K miles and nothing is wrong with it mechanically. Is it better to find a junk truck and swap the cabs or try replacing all four doors and weld patches to the body were the rust is? I have no idea what either option would cost? Its a really nice truck just this rust issue is really getting to me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

Rust is a killer, I know you can get rocker panels, and cab corners still. If you can weld them in yourself then i would do that... Im not to sure about the floors tho.

Tom
Old 04-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
http://m.jcwhitney.com/repair-panels...d50405y2003g55

The website above has replacement rocker panels and cab corners. If you can weld it would be cheaper to replace the panels your self. Assuming you can weld and are able to replace the panels you still need to consider how much paint and body filler cost. Even if you could not replace it your self the body work would still probably be cheaper than finding a replacement cab. It's hard to judge because it honestly depends on what your specific standards of quality is.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im not the best at welding nor the worst, but im not necessarily looking for show quality. I thought about if I did the patch repairs that I would paint the bottom side of the truck with rhino liner. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:39 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnightrod View Post
Im not the best at welding nor the worst, but im not necessarily looking for show quality. I thought about if I did the patch repairs that I would paint the bottom side of the truck with rhino liner. I appreciate the feedback.
Rhino liner is a very good idea!! My buddy did it on his 250 and it does look good, and is VERY rugged! PITA to get the mud off tho.

Tom
Old 04-15-2013, 06:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Rhino liner would look good. It's durable too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.