NOW, I'm REALLY Throwing Light!!! 60-3W LED Light Bar - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 12:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
NOW, I'm REALLY Throwing Light!!! 60-3W LED Light Bar

So, you can find these things on eBay. They're called "Work Lights" because, I guess, they have No Business on a vehicle

I stumbled across one of these there in a 72W (2-rows of 12-3W LEDs) that was 12" long and decided to buy it for a buddy for Christmas. Another friend (we think along thesame lines) ended-up giving ME one of these (180W 2-rows of 30-3W LEDs) that was 32" long... The 12" would fit nicely in the bumper, down between where the FogLights go, but32" presents a problem! I don't have a Rack of any kind (but, like my Air Horns, I'm more of a hide-it-away kind of guy) and there seemed little other place to try to shoe-horn it in. I was stuck with the Grill but, this thing's pretty big...

To do it, I first had to relocate the AC Condenser back closer to the IC. Because it's at the very top of the grill, I only needed to tilt the top of the condenser back. I took a3/4" section out of each leg of the "L" and rewelded them.

I then fabricated a Support Bar out of 1/2 X 1, thin, square stock to hang it on.

Attached it at the, stock, header panel mount.

And bolted the arms, that the LightBar came with, to it.

The completed Support Bar now looks like this in the truck.

Now, these pictures really don't do anything like represent what all these lights are doing. I only have an automatic, point & shoot camera and not a lot of experience with these night shots. They just don't do justice to what it actually looks like with them on.

Here's the, Low Beam, 35W HID Projectors alone ON (notice the nice, cut-off, "shadow line" they have)

Next, Both the 35W Projectors and the 55W (High Beam) HID reflectors ON (brightboxed and a LOT bigger difference then the pic shows)

And finally, the 35W Low's the 55W High's AND the 180W Light Bar (everything) ON

The Light Bar completely Obliterates the other lighting. Because I shoot fireworks shows, for municipalities and private concerns, we're often out in the middle of nowhere at night, on golf courses or on playing fields, tearing down racks that took us all day to set-up. We Need lights! I used to think I was Throwing Light with the HIDs This Light Bar gonna snuff 'em all out now! (can you actually have too much light?) The biggest drawback to HID Highs is that they're not instant ON like they should be ("is that a deer up there in the ROAD?") and was never happy with the delay in producing a throw down the road. THIS has now been solved! I get the Instant throw from the LEDs and whatever's added as the 55's come up.

From the front at night.

And in the day.

I was temped to try and eliminate the coverage of any of the emitters by opening the grill itself but, once off I found that there are a pair of fiberglass "struts" that support the opening behind the grill sections I'd be removing. It would weaken things and, I donno, might not look right either...

These things come in All Spot, and what they call, 30-70 (30% Flood - 70% Spot) and the difference seems only in that the reflectors for the Floods are Crenellated and Smooth for the Spots. I paid @ $120 for the all spot 72W, the 180W was a gift, it came 30-70 and I see them for @ $250
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 02:28 PM

i like where you mounted that. i looked at getting a 21.5 and replacing my fogs with it but i didn't think it would look good
Old 03-06-2013, 07:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Really nice, def dig this. I have a 01 and will eventually look at the 05 conversion and ill def have to add this in
Old 04-27-2013, 11:51 PM

Looks beautiful NoRalPh, How is your alternator holding up?
I only have one set of 55W HID's and 55W PIAA's but I might try 2 of those light bars if budget permits.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:31 AM

I don't really worry about the alternator,,, should I???

I mean, the HIDs draw less than filament bulbs, and the LEDs even less than the HIDs!

I think the batteries and charging system can take it
Old 04-28-2013, 02:03 PM

True, my alternator was going bad and having trouble with my current setup so I found one that put out a little more, I wouldn't know how well the factory setup worked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.