Another HID Thread... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-16-2013, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another HID Thread...

I've been tossing around the idea of HID's for awhile now. I'm just not happy with the stock setup and LOVE the lights in my wife's Acura TL. If I do this, I want to do it right and put in proper projectors, etc. I don't want to become a safety hazard to my fellow motorists by just installing HID bulbs in my stock housings.

Has anyone had any experience using RetroShop? CT Performance sells their retrofits here on the forum. I'd do the full retrofit myself using a kit from Retro Solutions or The Retrofit Source, just not sure if I want to spend the time. CT Performance has preinstalled HID's with projectors in stock housings:

New True projection hid kits.

I'm looking forward to everyone's constructive opinions

'02 F250 XLT Crew Cab Short Box
7.3L - 4x4

3" Lift - 35x12.5x18 Toyo's - PMP Bumper - PHP Chip - MBRP 4" Exhaust - Ford AIS Intake - GTP38R - CCV Mod - Powder Coated Intercooler Tubes - HID Projectors - KC HID Lights - Recon Third Brake Light - Access Bed Cover - B&W Hitch - Kenwood DNX890HD - Alpine Speakers - Boost, Trans Temp & EGT Gauges - AIH Delete - Boost Fooler - Billet Plenum Inserts - EBPV Delete - Coolant Bypass Filter - 6.0 Trans Cooler - Warn Hubs

Last edited by gasgzlr; 01-17-2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Support forum vendor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-17-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Anybody have any experience with these?

7.3L - 4x4

3" Lift - 35x12.5x18 Toyo's - PMP Bumper - PHP Chip - MBRP 4" Exhaust - Ford AIS Intake - GTP38R - CCV Mod - Powder Coated Intercooler Tubes - HID Projectors - KC HID Lights - Recon Third Brake Light - Access Bed Cover - B&W Hitch - Kenwood DNX890HD - Alpine Speakers - Boost, Trans Temp & EGT Gauges - AIH Delete - Boost Fooler - Billet Plenum Inserts - EBPV Delete - Coolant Bypass Filter - 6.0 Trans Cooler - Warn Hubs
post #3 of 18 Old 01-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i am wondering the same. i have emailed CT and am getting prices. he is very quick to reply and seems knowledgeable but would love to hear from someone who is using them

2000 F250 XcabSB, 4x4, 4" strait pipe, DIY intake, FRx, BDP tunes, WW2, 6.0 cooler, BTS VB, gauges, 55w digital projector HIDs
post #4 of 18 Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Im going to purchase these. You can easily build retros with ur own headlights, but it will require u t purchase the Porjectors, shrouds, harness wiring and Ballasts w/ relays etc. Its not hard just time consuming. They use a decent projector and Ballasts. Curious if they are D2S or not but either way they seem to project the light a lot better with a lot better cutoff.

06 Lariat F350

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-18-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

So, here's another question. Mainly looking for opinions. I may go to 05-07 headlights, but I'm not going to change my grill and I'm obviously not getting another bumper.

Should I:

1. Go with new 02-04 headlights retrofitted with HID's and keep the look I currently have.

2. Upgrade to stock 05-07 headlights retrofitted with HID's.

3. Upgrade to Harley 05-07 headlights retrofitted with HID's. If I do this, I feel like I'd need to get smoked lights for the bumper and get smoked lenses for the cab lights.

I'm hung up on what the best option is. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130118_160417.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	54961   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130118_160410.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	54969  

7.3L - 4x4

post #6 of 18 Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudah View Post
Im going to purchase these. You can easily build retros with ur own headlights, but it will require u t purchase the Porjectors, shrouds, harness wiring and Ballasts w/ relays etc. Its not hard just time consuming. They use a decent projector and Ballasts. Curious if they are D2S or not but either way they seem to project the light a lot better with a lot better cutoff.

My thoughts exactly. I don't know if there is enough price difference to justify doing it myself. I know that, if I buy them already retro'd, it'll be done right the first time (or should be). My job requires excessive amounts of time and my 4-month-old requires most of the rest. Just finding time to put in the headlights themselves could prove to be tough!

7.3L - 4x4

post #7 of 18 Old 01-22-2013, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
i got a set of the 02-04 clear style, 55w digital projector ordered today. he said it was a 2 to 4 week lead time. i will let you know how they work

2000 F250 XcabSB, 4x4, 4" strait pipe, DIY intake, FRx, BDP tunes, WW2, 6.0 cooler, BTS VB, gauges, 55w digital projector HIDs

Last edited by gomer pyle; 01-24-2013 at 01:30 PM.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-24-2013, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

I ended up ordering the 02-04 housings with 55w 4300K HID's from Cary. We shall see how they work...

7.3L - 4x4

post #9 of 18 Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Another HID Thread...

Don't spend the money on the Harley ones, since he has to open up the headlights he can paint the bezels for you, Infact I'd paint the reflectors too

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Marshall
2002 F250 7.3L CCSB 4WD
Tinted | Focal speakers & 12" Kicker | CTS Insight | CNC fuel line kit | PIS 200/80's | KC38R | Nathan P3 train horns & Onboard Air
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 18 Old 01-24-2013, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgzlr View Post
I ended up ordering the 02-04 housings with 55w 4300K HID's from Cary. We shall see how they work...
In, stock, reflectors or fitted w/projectors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode