Upgrade To 02-04 Clear Headlights - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 07:31 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upgrade To 02-04 Clear Headlights

As to be expected, my opaque lenses are horrible in my 2000 Excursion. Compounding the problem are both my left and right harness, which cause my headlight to go bright or dim if shaken. It's a good thing these trucks could liquefy a deer on impact. Otherwise driving at night could be rather hazardous.

My limited research has led me to the conclusion that the 05 headlights really aren't any brighter than the 02-04 clear lenses. It sounds like most people upgrade to the 05s for the looks. I also read the 9008 harness is known to melt? In addition, there appears to be some cutting involved in fitting the 05s. This has me leaning towards the 02-04 clear lenses, that will bolt right in and look fine to me.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but I am not interested in HIDs. I don't want to have to worry about the reliability of ballasts in an environment full of heat, moisture, and vibration.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Where should I get a set of 02-04 OEM headlamp assemblies? Tousley Ford has them for $147.71 per side. Hopefully someone can do better than that. Looking for companies, not Ebay sellers.

2. Since I am going to have to replace both harnesses anyway, are there any worthwhile upgrades I can do in that department? I read about people installing upgraded harnesses from gosracing.com that, from my understanding, uses relays to take ~14V directly from the batteries, as apposed to the ~12V they get through the factory harness. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anything on their site and have a feeling they might not offer them any more. In my search, I also found a link to an upgraded harness found here. Please educate me on any reliability issues, ect. Are there any other options out there?

3. Are there any upgrades I can do as far as the bulbs are concerned? Silver stars sound good, but I was thinking more along the lines of higher wattage bulbs. This is probably dependent on upgrading the harness.

Any links, prices, ect. to aid in my research will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. If any vendors have a good solution for me, shoot me a PM. I'm ready to order.

Last edited by MrClean; 07-31-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Guns & Powerstroke's

My suggestions under your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post

So my questions are as follows:

1. Where should I get a set of 02-04 OEM headlamp assemblies? Tousley Ford has them for $147.71 per side. Hopefully someone can do better than that. Looking for companies, not Ebay sellers.

I went eBay route so no help here.

2. Since I am going to have to replace both harnesses anyway, are there any worthwhile upgrades I can do in that department? I read about people installing upgraded harnesses from gosracing.com that, from my understanding, uses relays to take ~14V directly from the batteries, as apposed to the ~12V they get through the factory harness. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anything on their site and have a feeling they might not offer them any more. In my search, I also found a link to an upgraded harness found here. Please educate me on any reliability issues, ect. Are there any other options out there?

Depending on your electrical abilities and comfort level you can modify it yourself to achieve the same thing. IMO that is overkill but to each there own.

3. Are there any upgrades I can do as far as the bulbs are concerned? Silver stars sound good, but I was thinking more along the lines of higher wattage bulbs. This is probably dependent on upgrading the harness.

Without going hid's which you stated you didn't want to my experience has been silver stars are the way to go.
Not a ton of help.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:11 AM

No one else has an idea where to pick up a set of 02-04 OEM headlamp assemblies at a good price?
Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 AM

I didn't realize that I would need the side markers as well. Through Tousley that's an additional $100.

headlamp assy all Right - $147.71
headlamp assy all Left - $147.71
park & side lamp all Right - $50.13
park & side lamp all Left - $50.13
Sub Total: $395.68

There has to be somewhere cheaper than $400 for new OEM headlight assemblies.

Last edited by MrClean; 08-01-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:19 AM

On the plus side, I think I have narrowed down my decision on the harness and bulbs to:

HL28277 - Upgrade Harness for Two 9007 Lamps - $87.58 - Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product

Hella HL78322 100/80W, 2390 Lumens, 100 Hr Avg Life - $11.50 - Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product

Susquehanna Motorsports is only an hour and a half from me, and they seem to get good reviews. If anyone thinks there is a better option out there, please let me know.

Last edited by MrClean; 08-01-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just did this last weekend. I got mine from autoanything.com. I got both headlights and the matching clear markers for $70 bucks. I was a little skeptical but the quality looks great. I did add some rtv silicon to the seals just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
Old 08-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You should give Tousley a call. When I ordered my new headlights a while back, they had just purchased a large "bulk" shipment of OEM headlights and were selling them for $101 each.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

wrecking yard. Go in and pull them off a wrecked truck. very cost effective and once you clean them up will look good as new.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:42 PM

Does anyone know if my 2000 park/side lamp assemblies work with the 02-04 headlight assemblies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd2ca View Post
You should give Tousley a call. When I ordered my new headlights a while back, they had just purchased a large "bulk" shipment of OEM headlights and were selling them for $101 each.
$101 each, as in each side or each pair? Did that include the side lamp assemblies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormorgan View Post
wrecking yard. Go in and pull them off a wrecked truck. very cost effective and once you clean them up will look good as new.
I might just take a look at a few you pull its to check out price and condition. Any idea how these wear? Even the newest 04s are 8 years old now.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

they wear just fine. I got mine off my brother who sold me them used and I cleaned them up and they look great. Cant tell the age
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.