My 05-07 front end conversion and 6.0 trans cooler installation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ClemsonStang
My 05-07 front end conversion and 6.0 trans cooler installation

Changing my 02 F250 to the 07-07 style front end. Figured I'd post a few pictures here to help keep me motivated.

Previous owner had installed a very nice Derale trans cooler with a dedicated fan to supplement the tiny factory trans cooler. It worked great and looked good, but it required trimming the grill and would interfere with the support brace on the new front end. I'll be changing it out for the much larger 6.0 transmission cooler. You can see it in the picture below behind the Ford oval. I pulled that off Saturday morning.

Today this is how she started, I never did adjust the chrome bumper, it should be an inch higher than it is.

And this is where it ended up:

I drove it like that to the coin wash and cleaned the nose and engine bay. hoping I didn't mess anything up

It looks like a lot, but it's amazing how quick it all comes off. 6 bolts hold the bumper on. 4 for the grill. 4 for the lower head lights, and 8 for the core support.

Not sure how I want to adapt the 1/2" 6.0 lines to the 3/8" lines. I got some fittings from Lowes today, but it's going to take 4 pieces for each line, lot of places to leak. And then I realized how beneficial a 90 degree angle would be. Having the bumper off makes this much easier.

Looking online, these are $7 each from mcmaster carr:

I could also order a 1/2" to 3/8" barbed reducer as well.

Here is another option, but has a lot of places to leak, and I'm sure about flow .

Neither was that guy. so he had these made up:

I'm gonna do some calling around tomorrow and see what I can get to work.

If I have to order parts, I'd like to get that little trans filter too. Will work for now until I upgrade to the big daddy.

Last edited by ClemsonStang; 05-20-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Nice work so far man! Looks good and good luck with the install. Do you already have all the new front end parts?

Sent from my DROID3
Old 05-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshalala View Post
Nice work so far man! Looks good and good luck with the install. Do you already have all the new front end parts?

Sent from my DROID3
Yup, got a good deal on a take off bumper for 100, got an oem grill for 155, asian head lights with wiring adapter for 160, and an asian header panel for $42. $180 to paint the stuff. traded for the cooler even.

Ordered adapter from McMaster-Carr today, should have them in tomorrow. also ordered a Magnefine filter, not sure when that will come in though.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Looking good so far - keep us updated!!
Old 05-23-2012, 05:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Got the transmission cooler installed last night, kinda of a pain. Bravo to all the guys that do this with the front end still on the truck.

The lines are routed different though, here was my idea

Does this routing look ok?

Will be friday evening or saturday before I get to spend more time working on it.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Got the new trans filter in from Magenfilter. Installed it tonight, then bolted on the header panel and head lights. Doesn't seem like much but took a lot of little tweaking. Set the grill on to see how she's looking.

Hope to finish it up this weekend. Have to buy a bunch more mobile1 synthetic ATF... at $10 a quart!

Old 05-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

finished it up today, a lot of work to make it look like a stock truck :-P

Old 05-26-2012, 04:33 PM

looks sick man!! nice work!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonStang View Post
Got the transmission cooler installed last night, kinda of a pain. Bravo to all the guys that do this with the front end still on the truck.

The lines are routed different though, here was my idea

Does this routing look ok?
Did you have any issues fitting the new cooler in the truck? I ask because I installed a 6.0 cooler in my 2001 last week and the write-up I followed said to install the cooler the opposite way you did; with the 90 degree tabs on the bottom brackets facing the engine. Im wondering if the write-up I followed was wrong. I don't think it matters though, because the cooler is not directional...I was just curious. The facelift looks great. I keep thinking about doing it to mine, but I like the old font end too.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Did you have any issues fitting the new cooler in the truck? I ask because I installed a 6.0 cooler in my 2001 last week and the write-up I followed said to install the cooler the opposite way you did; with the 90 degree tabs on the bottom brackets facing the engine. Im wondering if the write-up I followed was wrong. I don't think it matters though, because the cooler is not directional...I was just curious. The facelift looks great. I keep thinking about doing it to mine, but I like the old font end too.
I didn't seem to have any issue. I skimmed the install writeups, but didn't notice that point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.