Head lights - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2007, 04:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Head lights

Ok so I'm looking to buy replacement bulbs for my 01 f350 and I don't know what the differents is between HID Lighting and Xenon Bulbs. not only do i not know the differents which one is better and where can i go to get the best price on some. I would want the kit so i could do my fog lights so it all matches. thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2007, 08:41 PM

true HID lighting is usually an aftermarket kit. comes with a new wiring harness and some other components. lighting on late model bmw's is all HID i believe, kinda bluish but very illuminating, nothing like putting in blue 9004/9007 bulbs. xenon bulbs are moderately brighter than standard replacements but are a completely different animal than HID. the last time i checked into true HID it was something like $1200 for the complete setup. albeit, it has been a couple of years. pretty cool stuff if a guy wants to put the money into it. also be aware of HID bulbs that are at the local parts house, most are just a higher output bulb that actually says something like "comparable to HID". long story short, research before you buy, i imagine i have not really answered any questions, just thought i would mention what i know about the differences i found when doing research. buy the way, i ended up just putting in a higher power bulb, just beware of the power supply wiring to the lights, get too carried away and meltdown can occur.

good luck
steve
Old 10-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
i agree with steve... but HID kits are a lil less expensive... i can offer you both xenon bulbs or full HID kits...... here is a link HID Lighting/ Xenon Bulbs

the 8000k are more blue than the 6000k
Old 10-01-2007, 08:56 PM

to update my outdated memory banks, what is the going rate for HID nowadays?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:49 PM
PIPE HITTER

a true HID bulb like the ones that Raul has produce light from a Xenon filled gas tube vs. a tungsten filiment. HID's make about 3-4 times the light that a hologen bulb will, and at only 35 watts, vs, 55/65 watts in a standard issue filliment bulb. HID's produce less heat and consume less amperage while in use, also the life expectancy of an HID bulb is about 3400 housrs +/-. The light from an HID is also less stessfull on the eyes, kinda like floresent vs. incandesant lighting, it not as harsh and produces fewer "hot spots" on the road, the lighting is much more even.

Halogen bulbs burn at about 3400-3700 kelvin, and have a little yellow to them. The "blue" bulbs out there are just colored bulbs, you can't actually change the color spectrum that a halogen bulb produces light in, you just give the capsule color, unlike HID's where as the Xenon gas can be manipulated with voltage and the amount of gas in the capsule to actually produce light at different ends of the color spectrum. As Raul mentioned, 6K is a little blue, 8K is a blue-ish purple, the 4300K-5000K are close to pure white, no color, like sunlight. The higher you go up in the kelvin scale, the more color you will get, and the less useable light you will have, even so, they will still be brighter than any halogen you will find.

Hope this helps.....
Old 10-01-2007, 11:39 PM
SMOKE ROLLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostard View Post
The last time i checked into true HID it was something like $1200 for the complete setup. steve
WOW $1200!!! You can get a set of HI/LO's with single ballast for less than $200 (Low beam only for little over half that) a set delivered!!! I have true HID HI/LO and HID foglights for a quarter of that cost...
Old 10-01-2007, 11:43 PM
PIPE HITTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescuediver View Post
WOW $1200!!! You can get a set of HI/LO's with single ballast for less than $200 (Low beam only for little over half that) a set delivered!!! I have true HID HI/LO and HID foglights for a quarter of that cost...
single ballast is not a true hi/lo HID, it would be either a piggyback halogen, or the ones that have the little mechanical hood on them to simulate a hi/lo beam. ...and yeah, they are very affordable these days
Old 10-01-2007, 11:52 PM
SMOKE ROLLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcop View Post
single ballast is not a true hi/lo HID, it would be either a piggyback halogen, or the ones that have the little mechanical hood on them to simulate a hi/lo beam. ...and yeah, they are very affordable these days

Actually the single ballast is used, the low beam will cut of milliseconds before it switches to the high beam and you get the same light that starts low and gets brighter. There is a difference in the brightness and pattern of throw from LO to HI, and there is no piggy-back going on. Not sure what your refering to about a mechanical hood though...
Old 10-02-2007, 12:00 AM
PIPE HITTER

I'd have to see pictures, to see what your talking about. I have never seen or heard of a single capsule, single ballast dual bean HID. All of the kits I have seen, are one single 35 watt xenon tube and one ballast per tube, I can't see how your ballast would know what to kick off from hi to low. I'm just thinking in terms of the way HID's work.

HID's are something I do for a living, well partially anyway, we have 3 trucks including mine here in town and we do tons of installs, I have folks ask me about the hi/low thing al the time, if it's out there, I haven't seen it. I really would like to see pics of the install and the ballast/bulb combo, if someone makes it, I can start selling it.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:15 AM
SMOKE ROLLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcop View Post
I'd have to see pictures, to see what your talking about. I have never seen or heard of a single capsule, single ballast dual bean HID. All of the kits I have seen, are one single 35 watt xenon tube and one ballast per tube, I can't see how your ballast would know what to kick off from hi to low. I'm just thinking in terms of the way HID's work.

HID's are something I do for a living, well partially anyway, we have 3 trucks including mine here in town and we do tons of installs, I have folks ask me about the hi/low thing al the time, if it's out there, I haven't seen it. I really would like to see pics of the install and the ballast/bulb combo, if someone makes it, I can start selling it.

By no means am I an expert or claim to be I'm just trying to describe to you what I installed on my vehicle. I turn wrenchs not Fluke meters, so I can't tell you the internal workings. If I ever get a few days off I'll try to get some pix and PM you so you can give me accurate account of what version of whatever I have. One thing extra; I install a set of HID that were just like mine, but not labled HI/LO and their were a little less wiring involved. My set had a wire that connected the two bulbs and his didn't. I think not positive that was the only difference. Oh yeah, about those pix I'll get them right after I install the SNOW kit...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.