Rust help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 12:09 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rust help

Well, like every car and truck on the east coast, I have rust on the underbody of my 02 F350 7.3. From what I can see, the previous owner did attempt to rust proof the truck with some rhino liner, but I'm peeling away underneath the box and grabbing big flakes of rust where all the rivets and welds are... Thankfully the frame looks solid, as so do the supports for the box, so I can put a 5th wheel on... But at 136,000 this 7.3 is just broken in. I had so many plans of modifying it, but the rust is demoralizing. Any suggestions? Oh, and I hate the look of a flat bed, so I won't budge there. The body is in awesome shape, no surface rust to speak of on the outside... Just the underbody.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 12:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have the same rot (but alot more mileage) and the only thing i can see is buying another bed/box.
Kinda sucks but its life.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:48 AM
Premium Member

If your looking for a paint type product, Summit sells some stuff called POR15 it says that you can paint it over the rust and it keeps moisture out permanently... Kinda pricey 150 for a gallon but says it resists fuels, oils, acids, alkalis, abrasion, and even graffiti! Id assume that you'd want to strip off the product that's on there before applying. Hope that helps!

Last edited by sincity_duck; 04-15-2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:53 AM

I was thinking of sandblasting. I have 130gal. Compressor, so I'm thinking I could sandblast most of it off. I just hope it isn't really bad.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Por 15 I live in new Hampshire and I did mine in the fall. Just scrape all the lose **** off and wash it real good then get a cheap air gun and full it up with por 15 and a little thinner and go to town. I had a solid frame only rust I had was can corners were rotted through because of the steps he had on it trapped the snow and salt in the can corner. One fender had rust bubbles so I cut it filled it with spray foam then bondo and bedlinerd my rockers and flares. I hate rust I try to fix all the rust spots. The only spot I have left is under the door sill its not bad but I'm one of those people that has to fix everything lol gunna tackle that once I have a break from work . And my truck was only up here for 3 years it came from georgia.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:45 PM

Thanks for the help. Gonna try that this weekend.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:29 PM

Don't get that crap on your hands though. I have paint covered hands now for two days. Only way to get it off is when I loose my skin under the paint.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.