Bi-Xenon - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Winning DUHHH

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bi-Xenon

The Bi-Xenon's are the Hi/lo beams correct....Right now I have strait 9008 HID's and I would really like to use the Hi/Low function again. in a 55W

Just clarifying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
They are..... but they SUCK Big Time

I can't imagine you're gonna be happy with what you get from them. All they do is to move the bulb into a position even More out-of-focus than you have now (assuming you're using the stock halogen housing). Then, for a Hi Beam, it moves the bulb back. Really a poor way to do it

If you want good lighting, you really need projector housings when you use HIDs.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:08 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
He has 9008 bulbs which means he switched to the 05-07 headlights...you'll be fine with them.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms01PSD View Post
He has 9008 bulbs which means he switched to the 05-07 headlights...you'll be fine with them.
Absolutely Not!

It doesn't matter what halogen housings you're using, none of them are focused for the HID bulb. The light source isn't anywhere close to where the reflector expects it to be so, you get poor throw/scatter no matter how bright the light being produced.

Plus, that doesn't change how the Bi-Xeon functions. It still, physically, moves the bulb (up/down or in/out) to change how it focuses in the housing. Since it's Never really focused in a halogen housing, all it does for you is go from more out-of-focus (low beam) to less out-of-focus (hi beam).

You guys using an HID conversion in Halogen Housings have NO IDEA what an HID should be doing for you until you see the throw you get from a proper Projector housing.......
Old 03-04-2012, 08:07 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well, I dunno what to tell you. Everyone i've seen with 05-07 headlights with HIDS has had a good light pattern and it's never blinded me when looking at them...
Old 03-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Winning DUHHH

Ive got the HID's in it now.....just 35 watters. I want to up to the 55W.....Whats do you guys recommend. Not doing anything and going back to halogen....Lame
Old 03-04-2012, 06:33 PM

A lot off people always talk about u having to use projectors for an HID but auto manufacturers make vehicles with HIDs in non projector housings which use the same bulb technology of moving the bulb in the housing to make high beam. Which is basically what a halogen bulb does. The high beam filament is in a different location which makes it focus different giving u high beam. So u may say its not proper to use it in a housing designed for a halogen bulb, but lets get off this projector BS. And just cause someone cuts their light and mounts a projector in there still doesn't make it correct either but it seems a lot of ppl think that's fine. To each their own.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young-SC-Owner View Post
Ive got the HID's in it now.....just 35 watters. I want to up to the 55W.....Whats do you guys recommend. Not doing anything and going back to halogen....Lame
Here's what I went through. Like you, I put 35W HIDs in my halogen housings and thought "I want More light" mostly because I wasn't getting the throw I expected. I've had bright driving lights (halogen) that I knew illuminated 300-400ft down a long dark road and wasn't seeing that with the HIDs. I also had HID flashlights that were 35w and seemed to have Much better Throw. So,,, I went 55w. This was a Total mess. Yes, it was brighter light but mostly right in front of the bumper. Maybe some more throw, but still wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted THROW, Way down those, dark, back roads.

I also ended-up being flashed All the time. I was in everybody's eyes (Much worse with the 55's) and the reflective street signs on the hiway Glowed. I was an A-HOLE on the road!

Next I went with a RetroSolutions 55w Bi-Xeon kit. WHAT A POS! All it did was to move the bulb into a position that made the scatter worse. I got No More light because it put the bulb Back where it was in the Low Beam position for a High Beam! I only gained a "Less Light" position for a Low and Nothing more than that for a High. Even the 55w Low position caused people to flash me all the time (Bi-Xeon really is a pi$$ poor design....)

What I did was to get some, cheap, eBay 4-bulb projector housings. The lows have that "shadow line" you want for the HIDs and it's up to you what you do for a High. Halogen Highs are actually a good choice because, unlike HIDs, they're Instant ON. I put the 55w HIDs in and live with the delay (bright boxed so the lows don't go off) BUT as I go down the road, and even off road, I am THROWING LIGHT like few others

I just want to warn you, Bi-Xeon is not what you're hoping for....

Quote:
Originally Posted by belz View Post
A lot off people always talk about u having to use projectors for an HID but auto manufacturers make vehicles with HIDs in non projector housings which use the same bulb technology of moving the bulb in the housing to make high beam.
I've seen a LOT of HIDs, I'm not aware of any stock ones that move the bulb In/Out of focus for a Hi/Lo though. But I certainly don't know what everyone out there is doing. I could be wrong, just never ran across such a thing... Who's doing that now?

I know the early Germany cars (the first HIDs I played around with around 10-12 yrs ago) had a system to move the whole reflector because the DOT was concerned about loading a trunk with heavy objects and causing the shadow-line to move up too high. The way everybody else gets around this now is to only put HIDs in a car with Auto-Leveling back shocks. Never saw anything since do that though....

Quote:
Which is basically what a halogen bulb does. The high beam filament is in a different location which makes it focus different giving u high beam.
What? You think the way a halogen bulb gives you a brighter High Beam is because the High Beam filament is located 1/8" off from where the Low Beam filament is?

No, the filament is larger with a higher draw producing more light, That's why it's brighter. And we're not talking about an 1/8th of an inch difference with HID -vs- Halogen.

A halogen filament is Short, goes side-to-side, and is close to the back of the reflector.

An HID light source is Long, goes front-to-back, and is much farther "into" a halogen reflector than that reflector was ever made to have. It will always be out of focus there...

Quote:
So u may say its not proper to use it in a housing designed for a halogen bulb, but lets get off this projector BS. And just cause someone cuts their light and mounts a projector in there still doesn't make it correct either but it seems a lot of ppl think that's fine. To each their own.
They think it's "Fine" to do what? Drive around blinding everybody? That's their "Own"?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Here's what I went through. Like you, I put 35W HIDs in my halogen housings and thought "I want More light" mostly because I wasn't getting the throw I expected. I've had bright driving lights (halogen) that I knew illuminated 300-400ft down a long dark road and wasn't seeing that with the HIDs. I also had HID flashlights that were 35w and seemed to have Much better Throw. So,,, I went 55w. This was a Total mess. Yes, it was brighter light but mostly right in front of the bumper. Maybe some more throw, but still wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted THROW, Way down those, dark, back roads.

I also ended-up being flashed All the time. I was in everybody's eyes (Much worse with the 55's) and the reflective street signs on the hiway Glowed. I was an A-HOLE on the road!

Next I went with a RetroSolutions 55w Bi-Xeon kit. WHAT A POS! All it did was to move the bulb into a position that made the scatter worse. I got No More light because it put the bulb Back where it was in the Low Beam position for a High Beam! I only gained a "Less Light" position for a Low and Nothing more than that for a High. Even the 55w Low position caused people to flash me all the time (Bi-Xeon really is a pi$$ poor design....)

What I did was to get some, cheap, eBay 4-bulb projector housings. The lows have that "shadow line" you want for the HIDs and it's up to you what you do for a High. Halogen Highs are actually a good choice because, unlike HIDs, they're Instant ON. I put the 55w HIDs in and live with the delay (bright boxed so the lows don't go off) BUT as I go down the road, and even off road, I am THROWING LIGHT like few others

I just want to warn you, Bi-Xeon is not what you're hoping for....

I've seen a LOT of HIDs, I'm not aware of any stock ones that move the bulb In/Out of focus for a Hi/Lo though. But I certainly don't know what everyone out there is doing. I could be wrong, just never ran across such a thing... Who's doing that now?

I know the early Germany cars (the first HIDs I played around with around 10-12 yrs ago) had a system to move the whole reflector because the DOT was concerned about loading a trunk with heavy objects and causing the shadow-line to move up too high. The way everybody else gets around this now is to only put HIDs in a car with Auto-Leveling back shocks. Never saw anything since do that though....

What? You think the way a halogen bulb gives you a brighter High Beam is because the High Beam filament is located 1/8" off from where the Low Beam filament is?

No, the filament is larger with a higher draw producing more light, That's why it's brighter. And we're not talking about an 1/8th of an inch difference with HID -vs- Halogen.

A halogen filament is Short, goes side-to-side, and is close to the back of the reflector.

An HID light source is Long, goes front-to-back, and is much farther "into" a halogen reflector than that reflector was ever made to have. It will always be out of focus there...

They think it's "Fine" to do what? Drive around blinding everybody? That's their "Own"?
Yes, the high beam is more powerful but it still arcs in a different location to make it illuminate and focus differently. As for the HID moving, I am not sure on that. The cars may have a separate high beam. Whatever. My point is lots of vehicles have OEM HID lighting without a projector. Toyota, Acura, Lexus, GMC have all done that just to name a few that I can think of. Whether or not they use a separate high beam is not the point. I am just saying they don't use projectors for every HID application. As for high beam, who really cares, HID or halogen, it is illegal for you to have it on when there are other vehicles within a certain distance in front of you whether oncoming or traveling the same direction. I get blinded more from people driving with their halogen high beams on than I do with scattered HIDs. That's a numbers game but there aren't a whole lot of cars here with HIDs compared to when I lived in Miami. I agree, there are lots of vehicles driving around with crappy scattered HID lighting. Even colors like green and purple which make no sense at all, I am just making one point and that is about the projectors. If u can properly focus the light without the projector then do it. That's ALL I am saying.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:21 PM

I agree, and I don't mean say "Projector Only" but I don't see that there are aftermarket HID alternatives for Non-Projector housings available. I think Any housing that has and HID bulb in it Needs that piece inside to form the "Shadow Line" that protects the oncoming drivers from being blinded.

Not sure I've ever seen a conventional reflector housing offered that has that.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.