My front doors are rusting, HELP!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My front doors are rusting, HELP!!

I have a 2002 , never been in a garage and I live in Indiana and the other day I was washing the truck and noticed rust coming through the paint on the very bottom of the front two doors, were the weather stripping is on the inside looking like were the rust started. I tried to search , but didn`t find much info. I`m not a body man so i was wondering if this area could be fixed or I have to replace the doors? I don`t have any pictures right now. Any and all input would be GREAT!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
"Replace the doors???" Goodness NO!

Unless you're seeing huge holes, you can do some preventative maintenance now. Here's what commonly happens, the weather stripping get sand & grit on it and as you drive down the road, it Grinds through the paint and the bare metal constantly rusts....

Get some really good paint treatment (POR-15, KBS, etc) and properly prep & prime everything so it doesn't happen again. Look around the whole truck, especially the wheel openings and under the rockers, I'm sure you'll find Many spots that can use the same help. Get a complete kit and make a weekend of it! (you better hurry-up or wait 'till Spring, these moisture-cured paints don't like the cold & dry)
Old 11-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
COOL!! Thanks a million !! I`ts has more rust inside the door than outside. I does look like it was cause because of the weep/ drain hole behind the weather stipping. thanks again!! I will take some pictures and post them, so you can tell how bad it is.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Pry apart the seam at the bottom where it is rusting-once you have it separated, sandblast or wirebrush it until there is no rust left, POR-15 it, then paint it.

That seam is notorious for trapping dirt, water, and everything else the weatherstripping keeps out. If you don't open it up a bit so you can completely eliminate the rust, it'll just keep coming back. Whenever I wash my truck I pressure wash the heck out of that area. Keeping it clean helps prevent the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.