Lift and MPG dilemma - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 02:54 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lift and MPG dilemma

Im new to diesels trying to make up my mind on more lift or staying leveled Currently Im getting around 17.5-19 with stock 265 tires, I would like to move up in tire size for a more aggressive look but I enjoy the decent mpg's I get currently. Ive done some searching and people claim to get between 10 and 18 mpg with 35's depending on tune and the amount of highway driving, I'd like to have a 6 inch lift with 37's but even if i get a PHP Tunner Im sure my mpg would go down alot more than I can afford with that set up. Would a 4 inch lift and 285 tires look decent and give me good mileage? Please chime in so I can make up my mind

2002 f350 6speed only mods so far are intake and exhaust, and I would like to keep 16 mpg average or better after making changes

Last edited by Ranger87; 10-25-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 03:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Lifted my 02 cc, lb 6.5" pro compo w/ 37... i'd say i get anywhere between 15 to 17, only mods besides lift are afe bigboost intake and straight pipe stock exhaust... balling on a budget right now. not to mention i live in colorado

Last edited by jkhickcox; 10-25-2011 at 03:06 AM. Reason: left out info
Old 10-25-2011, 04:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i am currently in the process of a 6in lift but stock i was running 285 60 16 goodyear armor tech wrangers or something like that .. if your going to a 4in lift go with 35s the 285s might look a bit small.... it will look better imo 35 12.50s i dont like the crazy wide like 15.50s but its your truck! =] so you get to decide good luck =]
Old 10-25-2011, 05:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
Stock I am running 285 75 16s and I get anywhere from 14-19. and when I had 37s I could barely get over 15.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:08 AM

I figured 285's may look small with a 4" lift but they would be a bit more cost effective compared to 37's and a 6" lift, plus figuring in the cost of a chip to keep some of the fuel efficency none of its cheap....
Old 10-25-2011, 08:25 PM

I have a 02 CCSB with a 4" Procomp lift and 35x12.50 procomp extreme ATs. I have 5" straight pipe, intake, and php tunes. I get an extremely consistent 14-15 mpg's on the 100 hp performance and 80 hp dd. Turn it to stock and I get an increase of less than 1 mile. My experience is not much mile per gal difference with the tunes, but it turns a brick into a 10k lb rocket ship and I light the fuse every chance I get, which may explain my lack of mileage. Its all in what you want, but regardless of the lift and tires, def. do the php 6 pos. I love mine and have had zero issues with it. Btw I have a Titan 51 gal tank, and I think thats why my mileage is so consistent. IMO the people that have wild swings in there mileage are either idling a lot or there is a big difference in their fill up habits.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:36 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
I blame mine on fill up habits. Some times I get 225 out of the first quarter then other times I get 150. Its that extra few gallons I guess.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:30 PM

Well im thinking about pulling the trigger on a 6" lift and 37's im curious though if military rims and tires would work it would be a 16.5x9 rim with 7" backspacing would that fit or would I need to find something with different backspacing
Old 10-26-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger87 View Post
Well im thinking about pulling the trigger on a 6" lift and 37's im curious though if military rims and tires would work it would be a 16.5x9 rim with 7" backspacing would that fit or would I need to find something with different backspacing
Yep It'll work, but not without modification. The 7" backspacing won't work neither will the bolt pattern. You'll have to get it recentered. Make sure you use the pressed centers and the 12 bolt version for strength for hwy use. IMO its a good, cheap, unique way to get big rubber on your ride, especially if you don't put a ton of interstate miles on your truck. The rock rings are cool, but the set I had I wished I had the half rings cuz they're a pita to clean.

Check out Trail Worthy Fab. Incredible products and customer service.

Also everything you could possibly want to know on the H1 beadlocks is here:

H1 Beadlocks - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
Old 10-27-2011, 03:53 AM

So Freedombyforce since I plan to daily drive the truck would I have to get the 12 bolt rims since I do 60-80% highway? and would one need to get the pcv inards to keep from blowing tires even if you dont plan to air them down very often? also thank you for the link awesome prices through them!

never mind the question on the pcv i see how the wheels work now

Last edited by Ranger87; 10-27-2011 at 04:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.