New bumper - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New bumper

LOL I always thought I was gonna get a Road Armor bumper for my truck. I picked up this new bumper for $300 from a guy locally. What cured me from getting a Road Armor is my buddy got one for his 05 f250 and man that thing is LIGHT not to mention that there are only provisions to put two bolts on either side to secure the bumper to the frame. I thought it was completely crappy design as far as the mounting system. And the rear bumper brackets jesus talk about made form taffy. I think we use thicker sheet metal on the terminal cabinet doors at work.

I looked at my rear bumper and I am just gonna make my own. Ill post pics when I get it done

So what do you guys think of this front bumper. I have a 12K warn inside the winch area
Whats even funnier is it sits no lower than my stock bumper and when I took off the brush guard front winch mount and front hitch I realized how much better this looks than my last arrangement
Thanks for letting me show off my trucks bumper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 08:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Maverick1701
that thing looks pretty hefty! I approve!
Old 10-23-2011, 08:42 PM

Thanks. Whats funny is i took measurements to see if it would sag a lot and I must have some stout front springs cause it only sagged less than 1/2 inch from the original measurement. But i already had a bunch of crap on the front at the time. So I really traded weight for weight but this is a lot stronger than my last set up which was this. The winch was on a removable mount and is not pictured.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:11 AM

I'm going though the same pains right now.

Iron Bull Questions/Problems

How many mounting places does that bumper have on it? I just don't think 4 bolts on a heavy bumper with a 12k winch in it is enough. I may make at least 2 more braces on the sides.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedombyforce View Post
I'm going though the same pains right now.

Iron Bull Questions/Problems

How many mounting places does that bumper have on it? I just don't think 4 bolts on a heavy bumper with a 12k winch in it is enough. I may make at least 2 more braces on the sides.
My bumper has 4 bolts per side. The frame horn plates and the bumper plates are identical so you can put 4 bolts per side unlike the factory bumper which takes two per side. Basically the mounting poiints are mirrored from frame to bumper so they utilize all 8 bolt holes. I used grade 8 bolts washers and nyloc nuts. My buddy has a Road Armor bumper and it only allows you to put two bolts per side. It's the way the mounting brackets are designed and not wide enough and he has the quad driving lamp holes and they interfere with the outside part of the factory frame horn mounting plate. the mounting bracket is 1/2-3/4 the width of the factory frame horn plates so you don't have a choice to use the outside holes on the frame. I guess if youmade your own mounting plates but whats the point. That shoudl be a done deal from the manufacturer.. Really cheezy design IMO. As for the steel its way thin. Its a little thicker than the factory bumpers. The angles and the way the bumper is built help but for the money IMO its more looks than function. iv'e seen Road Armor bumpers bend pretty easily when hit off road liek when my buddys landcruiser landed on a rock as he was putting the tire down. For the money you spend on those bumpers they need to be freaking bulletproof and they are not.

I looked at the link you provided and my buddy has the same problem with his Road Armor bumper. Radiator support bracket hanging down ( looks like s**t)and driving light buckets hit the frame horn and the idiotic two bolts per side, which I can understand from a factory bumper. its there for aesthetics, but a $1200-$1800 hell screw that 6-800 dollar bumper should have some STOUT mounting points. After wanting a Road Armor bumper for a long long time on all my trucks i can tell you its a HUGE disappointment to see the actual shoddy material used. The brackets are slightly thicker than the factory brackets. IMO those are bumpers that rely on the looks and name recognition to get sales. I wouldn't put one on my truck now if you gave it to me.

This was my front hitch. it uses 4 bolts per side. See the flat part where the mounting points are. Thats how the bumper mounting plates are. I did have to remove the front tow eyes cause they are useless now.

Last edited by Rob454; 10-24-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.