Turtle Wax ICE take II (No PSD this time) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2007, 06:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Tim99ws6
Turtle Wax ICE take II (No PSD this time)

So,

This past weekend, A Buddy and I got together and tackled the job of cleaning up his GF's Mustang GT. After reading a previous guys review of the new Turtle Wax ICE product, I figured what the hell.... The car's exterior was in pretty good shape, no major scratches or dents, but the paint itself was very oxidized, and there were visible swirls in the paint. It was something that really upset her, cause she does wash the car, and take "decent" care of it, but has no clue how to wax, clay bar, etc it. I saw on my Diesel truck forum where they were hyping the new Turtle Wax Ice product(pretty much car wash, then a liquid clay bar stuff, then polish, then a spray on detailer). I figured we give it a try. She wouldn't let me take before pics of the car, as she was too imberressed of the swirls and oxidation. I have some after pics, but the sun was setting, and doesn't give the full "pop", haha. You get the idea though!!!

Car Wash-We didn't buy this stuff, as $5 at the local Whit Bluff, TN car wash was more than enough...plus the clay bar stuff would get the rest.

-Liquid Clay bar-This stuff is pretty neat, and a nice alternative to getting off contaminents(sp?) via a dial soap wash, or by old school clay bar. Basically, it's a semi-abrasive liquid, that you rub in pretty strong on all painted parts.The directions say to apply the stuff, then rinse off, and dry. We found the best way was to actually rub it in with a moist rag, then spray it off. This stuff worked suprisingly well, and knocked out all the bad areas of swirls, some nasty crud on the front bumper, as well as some oxidation. The only downside, is it was a little bit of a PITA to get off. We found the best way was Randy follow me around the car a couple times with the water, as I gently agitated the clay liquid. It seems to want to stay on the paint, so a little light rubbing with the palm of my hand with water running over really worked perfect.

-polish-->I opted for the paste polish(they have liquid and paste style) only because i have more experience with it, and think it's a little easier to get a even full coat on the paint. This stuff was pretty nice. It's a little hard to see what you're doing, as it doesn't chalk up like a regular wax. We started off just doing one panel at a time at first. This worked "ok", but didn't seem like it was taking as well as i hoped. It was not coming off smoothly, like when you don't leave wax on long enough to set in. We decided to apply to the whole car, and let it sit for about 2-3 hours. Wow, that did the trick, That stuff came off perfectly, and man they car looked AWESOME. I can honestly say it looked better than the first day she got it 2 or 3 years ago. She was actually a little stunned as to how "deep" and ruby her paint was. Up until now, she thought it had a pinkish hugh to the paint.....yea no...that was oxidation, haha. It also brought back out her taillights, and headlights which had a nice film of oxidation on them. A little clay liquid and polish, and bam they looked like new. The only thing i wasn't pumped about is it didn't have that "slippery" finish. The paint was definately smooth, but it wasn't a "throw a towel across it and watch it slide off" kind of wax. That's ok, as it definately did the more important thing. I'm probably gonna use the same stuff on the truck and the civic now. I'm pretty impressed with the stuff. It really is like her car has been re-painited a few shades darker!!

anyways, here's the weak pics.Be easy, I know it isn't a PSD but a helluva car for a female to drive! :p

More to come when i do amanda's Civic(her will probably be next). Then it'll be Randy's Truck, then my truck i assume.

PS-->I know, It needs to be lowered in the front :lol

Last edited by stump0331; 08-28-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2007, 06:23 AM
Banned

FRPP springs did the trick on my pony, it gets rid of that 4x4 look
Old 08-28-2007, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pest007 View Post
FRPP springs did the trick on my pony, it gets rid of that 4x4 look
We just don't want to slam the car. As it sits, its alos a little lower in the rear than the front(not a mustang guy, so i don't know if that's normal or not)

I'd like to go down maybe 1 or 1.5" in the front and maybe .5-1" in the rear.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:28 AM
Banned

The Ford spring drop it only about 1"front and 1.25" in the back, it looks really good, not slammed or anything, and you don't have to get caster/camber plates (these are needed for alignment purposes if you go more than 1.5")
Old 08-28-2007, 06:31 AM

Is there a pad in the rear that i can dump? I really don't want to lower the rear that much. 1" in the front will/would be plenty. The rear would only need to come down about .5" to get to level or having a slight rake. I know on my Trans Am, we can remove the upper spring perches, and run garden hose on the top coil thereby lowering the rear by about .5". Do the '02's have drop out coil springs with upper pads like this as well?!

How much do the FRPP's cost, and where can i get them?!
Old 08-28-2007, 06:36 AM
Banned

I got mine from American muscle . com they were like $140

They do have rubber spring pad that you can remove, but I left mine in so they wouldn't make any noise. I'll post up some pics when I get home later this afternoon if you want so you can get an Idea what it looks like, not a big difference, but looks better
Old 08-28-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pest007 View Post
I got mine from American muscle . com they were like $140

They do have rubber spring pad that you can remove, but I left mine in so they wouldn't make any noise. I'll post up some pics when I get home later this afternoon if you want so you can get an Idea what it looks like, not a big difference, but looks better
Thatd be awesome, thanks!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:27 AM

nice write up
Old 08-28-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick26 View Post
nice write up
Thanks man!

To be fair, I don't think this stuff compares to some commercial grade stuff and legit buffer's. But, for the "backyard clean-up job" I am satisfied with the results. The jury is still out on how long the stuff holds up though!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

Want to come up to wisconsin and do mine to, it looks great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.