6.5" or 8" Lift..? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2007, 04:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to FasTruckMonkey
6.5" or 8" Lift..?

OK guys, im getting closer to being able to lift my truck, pretty sure im going with a Pro-Comp kit, I just dont know if I want to go 6.5" or 8". Id like to run 37"s ,can I squeak by with a 6.5" lift? If I go 8" am I going to have to do a bunch of mods..break lines, driveshaft lengthing, carrier bearing, etc etc...? There will be mild off road use, but the truck will mostly be a asphalt queen..lol
Thanky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2007, 05:00 AM
Serving Our Country!

With either lift you will have to upgrade the brake system. With that much lift you would want to have new driveshafts made. As far as clearing 37's the eight inch lift would probably work better with the six inch you may have some rubbing.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:02 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasTruckMonkey View Post
OK guys, im getting closer to being able to lift my truck, pretty sure im going with a Pro-Comp kit, I just dont know if I want to go 6.5" or 8". Id like to run 37"s ,can I squeak by with a 6.5" lift? If I go 8" am I going to have to do a bunch of mods..break lines, driveshaft lengthing, carrier bearing, etc etc...? There will be mild off road use, but the truck will mostly be a asphalt queen..lol
Thanky
With a 6.5inch lift your gonna have to just as much work if you go 8 inches. For your 37's the 6.5 inch will work for sure and give you the clearance you need. I would think that a 4 inch lift will allow 37's to clear. I say this because a 2 inch lift allows 35's to clear. But if you go over 4 inches of lift be prepared to do all that work.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasTruckMonkey View Post
Thanky
i agree with scott..... both will be as much work... as for the driveshaft the 8" kit comes with a carrier bearing drop kit and a driveshaft lenghtening block for the front...... if i were you just go the 8" and safe yourself the trouble of wanting to go bigger after you install the 6"....
Old 06-18-2007, 06:51 AM
RRonning84

I would worry more about what will rub when you are off road. The more lift you have the less chance you have of a tire snaggin a fender or something.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:56 AM
Fishing Fanatic

How wide of 37s 12.5 or wider? The 6.5 in lift should work just fine. I have a 4in and I could put 37 on it, but offroading in a turn, I might crunch a fender if in a sharp turn and bumps. Good luck with it.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

37's and 4" lift works great, just experiment with wheel offsets...

Last edited by CSIPSD; 08-16-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Banned

A 6.5 you don't need breaklines. If you go to 8 you will need front and rear Ds's and breaklines. 37 12.50 22's look best on 6.5. you need to go a bit more with an 8 for it to look right. Don't forget gears. 37's require atleast 4:30 above that you will lose top end
Old 06-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman77 View Post
A 6.5 you don't need breaklines. If you go to 8 you will need front and rear Ds's and breaklines. 37 12.50 22's look best on 6.5. you need to go a bit more with an 8 for it to look right. Don't forget gears. 37's require atleast 4:30 above that you will lose top end
YA Dont need gears... You couldnt pry my 3.73's away from me... 1800-1900rpm's at 70mph...
Old 06-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman77 View Post
so your saying once i install my 8" lift kit ill have to install new front and rear driveshafts even though they come with a carrier drop and a front driveshaft spacer? just wondering cause im about to install my kit at the end of the week or next week....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.