wiring up AUX backup lights - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wiring up AUX backup lights

im going to wire up some aux backup lights. i plan on using the tow wiring + as a signal wire for a relay. the down side is im not to good i reading wiring schematics but can wire up a house.
could some show me what spots to use on a relay. i know ill need to run a power from battery to relay,ground out the relay and run power from relay to lights. i wanted to do a switched system but i would be to tempted to use it on tail gaters lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2010, 06:11 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Relay Basics (for the common, 30A, "1"X1", black "ice-cube" relays)

A relay is just a remote switch that makes a low draw source to switch a high draw device (like making the reverse lights power from the factory turn-on big lights)

For some reason I don't know, almost Everybody has continued to use the same label for the relay connections (I think it was Bosch who first did this) BUT if you look at most relays like the ones we're using, you'll see a small schematic on them with 85 - 86 - 87 - 30 (and sometimes 87a).

What the schematic shows is that the coil (a little electromagnet) is between 85 and 86. When current goes through them it pulls the contacts from 30 and 87a (called NC for Normally Closed) to 30 and 87 (called NO for normally Open) and gives you the choice to have something either turn-ON or shut-OFF with that little electromagnet coil.

SO,,,,, let's say you GROUND 85, and take the reverse light supply wire your current lights get their power from and connect it to 86.

Now, when they come ON, the contacts in the relay connect 30 to 87. This means if you have a (fused, please) 30A wire from the battery connected to #30 on the relay, you can draw up to 30A of power to anything connected to 87 (like BIG lights )

The relay can be located anywhere in the system so make it easy on yourself and put it where the the source wire that trips the relay (in this case the factory reverse) is close to where the new, power wire, will be - like around the back bumper area.

Pay attention to your ground, make it scraped clean & greased to a solid ground (frame, sheetmetal, or, if you're Sure, a factory ground wire that is)

Relays are SO USEFUL on So Many ways and once you start using them you can't get away from them!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:11 PM

ive got around a dozen extra relays on my truck
from front aux. lights to rear aux. lights
train horns to compressors
toooooooooooooooo many to list
relays are good
Old 10-02-2010, 11:28 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You should just wire it into your reverse light so that they turn on when you put it in reverse.
That's what I did.

edite: I just saw where you are gunna flash tailgaters.. haha!!! Just don't do it to a cop. They like to follow close, sometimes it seams to run tags.
I just blow a puff of smoke on tailgaters and they back off. Or pass me in anger. Either way, they're not on my butt anymore.

Last edited by azkcr; 10-02-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:53 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillls View Post
ive got around a dozen extra relays on my truck
from front aux. lights to rear aux. lights
train horns to compressors
toooooooooooooooo many to list
relays are good

Me too

I make a bank of relays and typically connect 30 & 86 on the relay itself then the corresponding switches in the cab, connected to 85, and then ground the other side (completing the circuit to ground and energizing the coil)

I have a switch to break the power supply to the compressor so, on a cold winter morning, when I roll the key ON, the compressor can be shut off while the glowplugs are running and I'm about to crank 'er over (It's not an everyday driver so often, because I can't find a small 200psi leak, it tries to run).

Another good example is I want the horn button to blow the airhorns but NOT the electric horn at the same time. So, I connect the electric horns power wire through 30 & 87a (NC) and another switch allows me to energize the coil so the airhorn solenoid is tripped by 30 & 87 (NO) when set on (most of the time). Because I carry explosives, I have a yearly DOT inspection and don't want to BLAST the inspector

And that's really what relays are all about, you can have small switches and small wires controlling high current devices without having to run heavyduty contacts and supply wires all over the place.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkcr View Post
You should just wire it into your reverse light so that they turn on when you put it in reverse.
That's what I did.

edite: I just saw where you are gunna flash tailgaters.. haha!!! Just don't do it to a cop. They like to follow close, sometimes it seams to run tags.
I just blow a puff of smoke on tailgaters and they back off. Or pass me in anger. Either way, they're not on my butt anymore.
lol,im a cop myself. i was giving thought to a switch to turn them on/off for when im camping but ill be wiring them to the reverse lights.
thanks for all the help. i ran a 12awg wire from the battery to the relay mounted on the frame rail in a water tight container. it was pretty easy after that. iinstalled some 100watt bulbs in them. so now i have 3k hid for fogs,5k hid for driving(installed in ipf 968 lights) and 100watt bulbs in aux backup lights. officially ready for deer season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.