dent in tailgate causes need for rocker panels - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Member/MARINE

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to rajharley
dent in tailgate causes need for rocker panels

Okay,

Over the weekend I got a pretty good size dent in my tailgate from a trailer that decided to roll forward and make contact with my tailgate. Don't ask. I had a stupid moment. First thing I thought was,"yippie, I get a new 2008 tailgate with that cool step." My heart was broken when the dealer told me the price of a new unpainted tailgate for a 2008. It was some rediculous amount like $1700.00. :rain: So I started looking into how I could repair the damage or replace the tailgate. Then it struck me. Aluminum Diamond Plate. I made some calls today and got an entire 1/16th inch 4x10 foot sheet of Daimond plate for around 200 bucks. Best part about it is that they are going to cut the tailgate piece that will cover the entire tailgate and then they will cut two sections 1 foot by 10 foot. I am gonna trace out my rocker panels and cut these pieces to mount on my truck. I am still gonna have some left over material and plan on making a Fuel door cover and some floor mats. I am sure I will find all kinds of crazy things to make with the extra material. I plan on using rivets to mount everything on the truck. I will take several pictures and i'll do a write up for the project. Wish me luck.....I love to fabricate stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2007, 12:56 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
sounds like a good idea. Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Member/MARINE

well, I got the tailgate done on sunday. It was a lot of work but it looks awesome. no one in their right mind will come up behind me now at night with brights on. I will do a write up tonight and post it with pictures.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

im curious to see how this looks .... thats a pretty good idea with the fuel door.. i love diamond plate
Old 06-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Member/MARINE

i am gonna make some plates to attach to my door levers too. I mocked some up last night. They will look cool.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
Old 06-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJohnWayne View Post
lol - I was thinking the same thing! I checked back thinking there were pics!!
Old 06-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Yahoo to worx
Wow- that does sound sweet... and I agree with the brights fix too! You going to clear it when its done (and clean) or just keep up with the polish and cleaners???
Can't wait to see pics! and hope my trailer doesn't decide to act like yours- the other driver already killed the tongue jack last run... but that ment go electric.. he he
Old 06-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Member/MARINE

here it is

let me start off with this involved a little more work than I expected. But I am sure that you will agree that it was worth it. I found that using a jigsaw with a metal blade was a PITA. Anyone who has cut thin metal with one will know what I am talking about. Some of the larger cuts I did use the jigsaw but I made sure that it was clamped to my workbench. Another note when working with aluminum...wear heavy gloves. That sh&% is sharp. If you use a jigsaw make sure to cut with the dull side of the aluminum up so the base of your saw does not scratch the bright surface of the aluminum. Measuring the hole for the tailgate latch was challenging. Take your time and check you measurements multiple times. I started witht the tailgate off and set it up on some sawhorses. I used a cone bit to drill the 1/8 inch holes needed to put in the aluminum rivets to secure the plate to the gate. I had to use the cone bit because the regular 1/8 inch bit was wobbling like crazy trying to get through the steel on the gate and I knew if I continued with it that it was gonna break. I marked the bottom of the gate every two inches with a marker for my holes. Then one at a time I started in the bottom left corner and worked my way across the bottom to the right side. Each rivet got some black RTV on it before inserting it in the hole to seal it up and prevent rust. I then went up each side alternating from left to right side so I could make sure that it was not going to buckle. I then started on the right top and worked my way across to the left top. I used 3/8 inch oil line sliced down the middle on one side as trim for the hole for the gate latch. I then RTV'd my oval back on the diamond plate. The F350 badge bit the dust while prying it off the tailgate. Then I got a wild hair and started thinking about what I would do with all of the scrap left over. Rocker panels will go on this coming weekend. But this evening I cut, shaped and double-sided taped covers for all 4 doors and the fuel door. I have another large piece that I am going to cut out in the shape of my grill insert and I am going to drill some large vent holes in it and attach it to my grill. I think that the grill will look sweet too. Just gotta make sure I have plenty of ventilation holes. I hope that the photobucket thing works to attach these links. It's my first time using it. Let me know if the pics cannot be found.

Rob

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/100_2472.jpg
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/100_2468.jpg
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/100_2479.jpg
Old 06-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Member/MARINE

I forgot. If you are near SoCal and would like to do this with your rig let me know. I'll give you a hand with it. It was kinda fun. More pics to come as I get the rocker panels and grill done this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.