Leveling Kit Options (for sticky purposes) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 12:56 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leveling Kit Options (for sticky purposes)

Ok - I know it's probably been beat to death, but I figured I'd try to write something up that might get stickied to save people trouble. Therefore I need some excellent response from you guys. There seems to be 5 different ways to level the front end of a 1999-2003, and I'd like to go over them and ask for pros-cons of each. Things like actual lift amount reported, ride quality pre to post lift, additional necessary components, long term effects of the lift and any additional information you can think of would be more than appreciated.

1. Add-a-leaf to the current spring pack (Price ~$95)
2" Ford F250/F350 99-04 Super Duty Leveling Lift Kit - Top Gun Customz

2. Mini-spring pack added under leafs (Price ~$190)
270 MAXX-LIFT LB1999-2004 F250/F350 4x4 TRUCKS

3. Full replacement front springs (Price ~$390)
2.5" Front Lift Leaf Springs 99-04 Ford F250/F350 Super Duty 4x4 - Top Gun Customz

4. Front spring hanger brackets and shackles (~$210)
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new...uct.php?id=165

5. Leveling shackles (~$70)
2" 99-04 Ford Super Duty 4x4 Front Leveling Lift Shackles - Top Gun Customz

Here's one option that I've been considering, and I would like to hear what you guys think though. Could you get a mini-spring pack that should yield approximately 2.5", and use one of the plates in the rear? I'm interested in bringing the front up a little bit, because honestly, I prefer a slight lean forward over perfectly level. While providing the clearance needed for my 16x8 4.25 backspacing (-6mm offset) wheels to hold 315/75/16's without rubbing (with possible minor trimming), this would also reduce the changes the front would see and lessen then need to change the track bar.

I've also read numerous threads on people leveling without touching the track bar, therefore I know this is an option. I also know that (money not being an option) it is not the preferred option. Could I please hear reasons for and against realigning or replacing the track bar? I would appreciate just warnings and not death notice advice for the guys that haven't handled the track bar. By the way - I'm not looking for the smoothest ride - just fitting 35's for the cheapest "get the job done" option.

Thanks guys for advice in advance for any level of information that you may be able to provide. I look forward to summing all this up.

Last edited by brettdacosta; 04-12-2010 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Updated front spring hanger brackets and shackles to more cost efficient option
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
Im going to pay attention to this also...

Im running 305-55-20 right now and have very minor rubbing issues on '07 20" wheels, im sure if the offset was a little diff on the wheels id be 100% ok.

I still want to level it though and will be paying close attention to this thread
Old 04-09-2010, 07:57 PM

I WILL ALSO BE KEEPING AN EYE OUT ON THIS THREAD. I JUST PURCHASED MY E99 AND THE GUY SAID IT HAS A LEVELING KIT ON IT. LOOKS LIKE SHACKLES TO ME. IT HAS 35 X 12.50 ON EAGLE ALOYS, MINOR RUBBING ON THE DRIVERSIDE INNER FENDER. TRUCK HAS 211K MILES I MAY BE CHANGING THE LEAFS AND SHOCKS JUST TO FRESSHEN HER UP A LIL BIT.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:46 PM

I had a spring shop do the work for me. We measured the rear height, then the front. Rear was just under 2 inches higher, so I told them I would like the front 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher than the rear. With this heavy motor I assumed it would settle in time. (hasn't yet, been 4 months) To accomplish this, they removed my front leafs, added a thicker one to the bottom, then they re-arched all three of them. Front end sits 3/8's of an inch higher than the back now. I don't know why, but when I see a truck a bit higher in the front I think it looks better. Like em level the best!
I didn't notice any difference in the ride. $400. Very pleased with the outcome.

Last edited by BGJ; 04-19-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

BGJ- did you have to do anything to the trac bar??
Old 04-10-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer_maxxer View Post
BGJ- did you have to do anything to the trac bar??
They had to do some adjustments under there cause they told me if my steering wheel wasn't on center they'd re-adjust it. No new shocks either.

Last edited by BGJ; 04-11-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Another option for you:
Ford Superduty 99-04 Leveling Kit - Sky's Off-road Design
Old 04-11-2010, 04:20 PM

If I level my truck instead of lift it, I will do full replacement springs. I think while you are under there, you might as well do it right, and having 2 leafs in the front of a truck just doesnt work for me. At a later time, you can add shackles to the leafs and get more lift. Keep this in mind when buying shocks for your leveling kit.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:14 AM

I'd really like to hear someone's opinion on option 5. I'm wondering if that's really a complete option in itself (assuming no changes to the track bar). Seems like it should need to be combined with something else unless there are significant downsides to it. Could someone shed some light on that for me?

Also, still really interested in knowing the downsides to not realigning or upgrading of the track bar? As you can see there are people that are really tuned in to this, so if some of the more experienced members than me could speak up, your wisdom will not go unappreciated. Thanks again, guys.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

On my 250 I took the spring code off of our 350 cab and chassis wrecker and ordered those springs. It lifted the front about 3" and carries my v-plow without sagging. It does sit about 1" higher in the front after about 10,000 miles so now I am going to change the block in the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.