semi wheels and lift - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
semi wheels and lift

Hey guys, finnally got myself a 4x4 dually for a good price... 2nd powerstoke and i love them. My question is if anyone knows what size lift is required to run 24.5 semi wheels. My truck came with it looks like a shock relocation kit in the front and blocks in the rear, not sure how much lift it is though, i've read that 8 inch lift is required to run 24.5 is that true? should i just stick with 22.5 and call it a day or what. thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 12:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey we run the 22.5 on our truck. We were told by the dealer that we got the wheels from, that you need to run a 8" lift to be able to run the 24.5. He also told us if you use the truck for towing you are better off with the 22.5. We really like ours, the only problem we have is we run the traction tires all around, (because we like the way they look) they like to cup in the front so you have to rotate them. They handle very well when we are towing.
On another note depending what your uses are the 24.5 look great with the lift. Hope this helps
Old 04-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

cupping front tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&April View Post
Hey we run the 22.5 on our truck. We were told by the dealer that we got the wheels from, that you need to run a 8" lift to be able to run the 24.5. He also told us if you use the truck for towing you are better off with the 22.5. We really like ours, the only problem we have is we run the traction tires all around, (because we like the way they look) they like to cup in the front so you have to rotate them. They handle very well when we are towing.
On another note depending what your uses are the 24.5 look great with the lift. Hope this helps
Have you tried the centramatic wheel balancers. They claim the big rigs use them and solves the cupping problem. I don't have 22.5's but I want them. I have the same cupping problem on the front tires of my truck also. Is this common for the front tires on the dually's?
Old 04-07-2010, 03:19 PM

We didn't try the centramatic wheel balancers, we need to look into those. As far as we know it is a common problem for these trucks. My husband works for an electric company and almost all of there trucks do it, and a few of the people we know that have these trucks have the same problem with them.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:00 PM

I got a buddy who has 22.5s and I know it doesnt have an 8 inch lift. I think its a leveling kit actually. I'll ask him and post.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh99 View Post
I got a buddy who has 22.5s and I know it doesnt have an 8 inch lift. I think its a leveling kit actually. I'll ask him and post.
Your buddy with 22.5's probably has 255/70R22.5's which work out to be 35.5" tall. The smallest 24.5" tire that you can get is a 285/75R24.5 which works out to be 41.3" tall
Old 04-07-2010, 06:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to ABoyAndHisToys
I had a 03 with 24.5 Alcoa's and ran a 8in. Honestly I don't think a 6in will give you enough. Talk to Top Gun...... They would know. Let me see if I can find a old pic for reference.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh99 View Post
We run the 22.5 and all our truck has is a leveling kit. (We would like to put a little more lift on to get more clearance) The 8" lift is for the 24.5.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:35 PM

my buddies 350....8 inch and 24.5 twisted alcoa's

Old 04-08-2010, 07:25 PM

that thing is a freakin beast! sometimes i wish i had a DRW just so i could run 22.5's...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.