Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

air compressor and mounting location...

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  bwillis2003 
#1 ·
Im looking at getting an air compressor to run an airhorn i want to put on my truck, also i want to run some air tools like an impact gun, air ratchet, and fill tires and such if i need to.

I was looking at the viair compressors, unless theres anything better? also i have a 2002 f-250 4 door short box, where would be the best mounting place for a 2.5 gallon tank? (i was thinking the toolbox, but id like to keep the space for tools. Any opinions? thank you.

#2 ·
I think Viair's are the best. I think, not sure though. Personally, I'd like mine under the truck because I have stuff in the toll box. As in full.
If you wanna run stuff like that get a compressor that has a 100% duty cycle

#3 ·
its difficult to see the dimensions online, so i dont know where under the truck itd fit easily, im sure that they have it in mind being that theyre 12 volt, so im sure it can run along the frame rail under the cab? i just wanted to know if anyone here has installed one to see where they put it to find my options.

my friend put his where his spare tire goes, but then im SOL without a spare.

#5 ·
I put mine on the frame on the passenger side. Tucked in there nicely underneath the bed.. I could try to get a pic for you when I go home thursday if you wanna wait the long

#10 ·

Put it in the tool box. There is no reason to subject the compressor to all that abuse.

#12 ·
In my tool box right now is a complete 18v bosch tool kit (drill, impact drill, sawsall, skill saw, light, and jigsaw) full tool complement, hammers, 2' and 4' levels, oil filters, water filters, and fuel filters... Basicly everything I need on the job or on the road.

I'll get another pic later today.

#13 ·
if i put it in the tool box, is it possible to put a "fake floor" over top of it, so i could stack things on top? or would it over heat? im not sure im still up in the air with this, im going to order the viair next week and i want to see how much work is cut out for me. thanks!

#15 ·
I like the tool box idea..where does viair make their stuff? USA or no? seems like good stuff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.