Paint - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Paint

My truck is being fixed after a front end collision and I am wondering what you guys think it would cost to have it oversprayed?

This is a pretty high-brow shop that the insurance is having do the body work and they are only paining the replacement panels and the ones they tweek. I have pin stripes, some minor scratches, i figure it will just look better if i get it over sprayed.

How much?

If I go to Maaco, should i get enamel, laquer, what?

-wes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 11:10 AM

If you have a basic 20-30gal compressor, I would say find a NAPA paint shop and get hooked with paint from them, they'll mix it for you to color match your paint codes. Then pick up a $30-$30 sprayer from harbor freight. I got a HVLP gun and it worked great to spray my fiberglass tonneau cover. I laid down 3 coats of base and 2 clear. My first spray job and the base went down beautifully. I had a problem with the clear though. It is much more tricky to get the flow settings right imo. But if you're just wanting to shoot a single stage, it should be real easy.

I setup a paint booth of sorts in my garage by hanging plastic from the garage door rails.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesjones View Post
My truck is being fixed after a front end collision and I am wondering what you guys think it would cost to have it oversprayed?

This is a pretty high-brow shop that the insurance is having do the body work and they are only paining the replacement panels and the ones they tweek. I have pin stripes, some minor scratches, i figure it will just look better if i get it over sprayed.

How much?

If I go to Maaco, should i get enamel, laquer, what?

-wes
First off-never go to Maaco or Earl Schieb's,they will give you the cheapest and crappietst paintjob ever
Depends on paint damage on the rest of the truck,a lot of times the old paint can be buffed out -but stripes will have to be replaced.
But if you want the whole truck repainted-get your wallet out-it will make you think twice.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

Man I've been dealing with paint shops for the last two months and they all seem to think they should make 100 a hour they say there rate is 48. Then you ask how long the truck will be there they say a week. The cost 4500 with no repairs. Now I know material is expensive. But that said that leaves 3500 for a weeks work. Man I'm in the wrong business I've been installing floors for 11 years never made that kind of cash. I here the tools thing and just laugh I have one vacuum that cost 4000. A sander that cost 5800. None of which that have a life time warranty plus I drive to the customer everyday they pull it in and work on it. 4500 here plus tax is almost 5000. I've bought nice vehicles for that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.