Stock rims - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stock rims

I am away from home but i was wondering the width of my stock 16" rims? its on a 2002. I want to go with a 38x15.50r16 but was hoping to use them while finding another rim. Whats your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You'll want to run at least a 10" wheel for a 15.50 cross section. My 315/75R16s (12.50 cross section) balloon quite a bit on the stock wheels. I think the stock wheels are around 8 inches wide. Not sure as I'm away from home too.
I checked the spec page at Toyo tire's site and they give recommended wheel widths for each tire.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:11 PM

yeah my after markets are 17x8 and i like my 35x12.50s. a friend wants to buy my tires from me but i want to go to a 38 but dont want to have to buy the rims right now. is there anyway i could run 1550s on them until i bought new rims?
Old 03-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Assuming you could find someone to mount them like that, you might get away with it for a while, but...
I personally wouldn't do it. Tire wear would be one issue. Having the sidewall severely bowed in and affecting the angle of the tires bead to the lip of the wheel could be another issue. The manufacturers have pretty good reasons for their recommendations. Your life depends on it!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:59 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There is no way in hell that tire will fit on a stock rim. Stock rim is like 7.5" wide. Largest recommended size for that width is going to be a 285/75/16. Any wider, and you'll get the ballooning problems like seawolf is having. That means the centers of your $1000+ of tires wear out really fast.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:05 AM

My 02 lariat has 16x7 wheels. The recommendation I have been given is no larger then 265/75/16 but 285/75 might be ok tire depending. Hope that helps.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolfbronco View Post
Assuming you could find someone to mount them like that, you might get away with it for a while, but...
I personally wouldn't do it. Tire wear would be one issue. Having the sidewall severely bowed in and affecting the angle of the tires bead to the lip of the wheel could be another issue. The manufacturers have pretty good reasons for their recommendations. Your life depends on it!
I wouldn't do it either,tread wear depending on weight rating of tire will differ,but picture this-a fat person on a 2 inch wide see-saw,I know this because I've been there-good chance is they're gonna fall off when loads get heavy-or unsuspected shifts-not safe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by big sig View Post
yeah my after markets are 17x8 and i like my 35x12.50s. a friend wants to buy my tires from me but i want to go to a 38 but dont want to have to buy the rims right now. is there anyway i could run 1550s on them until i bought new rims?
Save your money and match your tires to rims per manufacture's specs,these trucks are heavy-between 6,000 to 7,500 lbs dry weight depending on cab/bed combos
Don't risk the safety of yourself or others just to make the rig look cool,I've seen tires roll off rims and cause severe/fatal accidents,just be wise with what you choose-we don't want to see a thread from you about any bad luck - Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.