08-10 Tow mirror install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
Exclamation 08-10 Tow mirror install

So i did alot of looking and only found the ODD site that had any info on wiring in our mirrors with the 08-10.

This write up is for the 08-10 Power-signal-heat 99-07 SD pickups!

I Just!! added for POWER FOLD AND TELESCOPIC!!

I HAVE NOT WIRED IN THE HEAT YET, just havent had time.

Basics..get your 08 mirrors.. CHECK

Then well..install them..haha jk..

Anyways, if you look at the wiring harness that comes with your mirror youll see 7 wires..for this set up..

Drivers side

Black-Ground
power fold:
-purple with blue stripe +
-purple w/yellow stripe -
power extend:
-orange +
-orange w/blue stripe -
Brown- Positive lead Marker light
Green- Positive Signal light Lead
Black/white tracer- Heated mirror option
Red/silver dots- Power mirror
Blue/silver dots- Power mirror
Yellow/silver dots- Power mirror

Passenger side mirror

Black-Ground
power fold:
-purple with blue stripe +
-purple w/yellow stripe -
power extend:
-orange +
-orange w/blue stripe -
Brown- Positive lead Marker light
White- Positive Signal light Lead
Black/white tracer- Heated mirror option
Purple/silver dots- Power mirror
Green/silver dots- Power mirror
Yellow/silver dots- Power mirror

Vehicle Wires
White/blue Tracer- Right side signal positive lead
Light Green/ White tracer- Left side signal positive Lead
Dark Brown- Park light positive lead

Drivers side..
Now remove the Far black upper panel on door, its jsut on clips give it a little tug and it will pop off, dont lose the clips, now remove the 2 larger rubber plugs beside that cover, youll uncover 2 11mm nuts, when the big plastic cover is off youll also uncover 2 11mm nuts.

Now make sure the windows rolled up 100% makes life easier ( i think )

Removed the plastic cover on the door panel that has your window/mirror/lock buttons on it by pulling up on the pointed end ( closet to the front of the truck ) its a friction fit clip and it should just pop up and then proceed to pull it forward, un hook the 3 connections and just let them
dangle,

Remove the lower door light cover by pressing in the tab (nearest the front of the truck again) and it should pop right out ( youll see the indentation where the flat head screwdriver can fit)

Now there are 2-7mm screws, one behind that light cover and the other behind the switch panel, remove both.

Lift straight up on the door panel after this is done and it will come off EASILY..if its stuck, take it easy and becareful not to yard on it as the light is still connected to the door panel on the inside. Removed the socket 194 from the door marker bulb and just let it hang.

( drink a beer )

now, Take out the door speaker, 4 7/32 screws or like 5.5mm i think and ley them off to the side, unplug the door speaker and do the same.

Now, pull back the Grey door covering thats on the door and youll find a Grey connector ( for me it was a grey rectangle connector ) and unplug it ( that is for the mirror functions )

Now..be careful..dont drop your mirror..lol unbolt the 4-11mm nuts, be careful not to drop them in the door panel!! and Remove mirror, youll have to figet with the connector to get it out.. WAHOO were getting closer to installing an 08 mirror !!

Now with the 08 mirror youll notice a plastic triangle tab on the same mounting side that sticks out of the foam, pull back the foam and grind that tab off flush ( or else the mirror will not sit right !! )

If your 08 mirrors came without connectors ( like mine did ) cut off enough of your old wiring to make work from inside the door panel to the new mirror, depending on how much wiring was left on the new mirror.

Splice in the 3 main power functions, i used Heat shrink butt connectors as i did not feel the need to solder and heat shrink everyone! they are the same as the old colours. Blue/siler to Blue, Yellow silver- Yellow, Red silver - Red and BANGO you have power!! now using the left to right function will be backwards on the control as due to the setup in the new mirrors, there is a fix on this to use relays but who cares? honestly you move your mirrors like once a month WOO!..

Now for your other wires..i bought some bulk wire, black,red,yellow etc just so i knew the difference between them all. Splice in wire leads for the ground, signal, marker light, and heat ( MAKE THE LEADS LONG ENOUGH TO REACH WHERE YOU WANT) the signal and marker and heat all need to be in the truck.

Install mirrors back on truck, DO NOT DROP!!

I placed the ground on an eyelet connector and used the inside door panel as my grounding surface, it works fine, some ppl may not agree but it works awesome, no issues yet! there is a 10mm bolt right by that connector you can slip an eyelet connector onto! dont forget to tighten it down!

Run your other three wires into the cab thu the rubber boot, it comes out of the main cab easy and just pull it back a bit so you can straighten it out and slide the wires thru, or use a zip tie or something rigid to tape the wires thru and pass them into the boot.

The marker light wire will go to the Park light switch on the dash, use a Flat blade screw driver and pry up on the switch outer bracket ( youll see a cutout for the screwdriver ) itll pop right out. Just run the mark light wire to there for now..leave some extra..After passenger side wire is there too you can splice them 2 together into a spade connector and put a T-tap on the DARK brown wire on the back of the parking switch, i think it has a white wire going into the same place also! thats the Park light lead wire!!

The signal light wire will go to the main harness under the dash. ( Follow the multifunction switch wiring to the back of the column, youll see tape and a protective covering around the wires, remove this ) in that pack of wires youll need to find the White with Blue tracer ( right front signal positive ) and the light Green with white tracer ( left side signal light positive ).

I used T-tap connectors and a male spade to make my connection, again i did not see the need for cutting and splicing and heat shrink..these work fine, there inside the truck and should never get wet so no need to worry about rust.

Plug your drivers side signal wire into that wire ( make the connection however you wish )

Now the HEAT wire, youll need a 12V switch source and a switch. i have not done this yet, i will in the future!

ONCE ALL wires are ran and ziptied to follow normal harness routes, reinstall the door panel opposite from taking it off, MAKE SURE EVERYTHING WORKS before putting the door panel back on!!

( Drink a few beer )

NOW repeat for the other side, the colours will be a bit diff but i posted them all so you shouldnt have an issue. If youd like anymore info let me know

*NOTE* the passenger side signal,heat,marker wires NEED TO BE ALOT LONGER, they have to reach the drivers side!!

**NOTE**
IF YOU NOTICE THE MIRROR LIGHT ARE BURNT OUT, follow these instructions!

Press the Upper right hand corner of the big mirror glass with your finger until it moves into the full inward position, it will click this will NOT hurt the mirror, Once done look at the lower left hand corner, behind the mirror youll see a grey clip, now using a flat blade screw driver press that grey clip inwards towards the door of the truck, it flexes dont be scared!, and the whole corner light will POP out! now the black connector is upper light and white is lower. replace bulb or install recon lights!

IF YOU HAVE POWER telescopic and fold follow these wiring instructions!!
"You will need to get some new switches to make the power fold/ power extend work.
They have to be reverse polarity, momentary on/off/ momentary on.

I ordered these, http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/p1000.html Power switches...
because I liked the look of the switch. I just had to add a wire across some terminals to make them reverse polarity. Very easy, and I'm not electrically inclined.
I have pictures in my gallery.

Found the other info you need.
power fold:both sides the same
purple with blue stripe +
purple w/yellow stripe -

power extend:both sides the same
orange +
orange w/blue stripe -

I used a trailer lights 4 way wire to run under the dash to each new mirror, that way at the switches all the wire colors for each function were the same and the wires were in a bundle"

Thanks to a fellow powerstroke site i found this write up..

Hope this helps!! ENJOY

Last edited by 03_Turbo7.3; 03-10-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010, 03:43 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
NICE!! thanks for the write up
Old 02-28-2010, 03:46 PM

Hopefully its a sticky..
Old 03-07-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03_Turbo7.3 View Post
Now with the 08 mirror youll notice a plastic triangle tab on the same mounting side that sticks out of the foam, pull back the foam and grind that tab off flush ( or else the mirror will not sit right !! )
I just finished doing this mirror swap on my 02' and thought I could post some pics of what the tab you are talking about. I used a coping saw to cut mine off and then used a flat file to smooth it out. Here is what mine looked like:

I installed the manual mirrors so I didn't need to make any electrical connections. It was extremely easy to do! I think the whole process took me less than an hour, and that included trimming the triangular tab. I also figured out that I didn't need to remove my speakers, just pull the doorpanel and pull back the gray covering to disconnect my old mirrors from the plug. Anyways, I hope this helps someone out, and if anyone needs anymore info, please shoot me a PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piraya33 View Post
I just finished doing this mirror swap on my 02' and thought I could post some pics of what the tab you are talking about. I used a coping saw to cut mine off and then used a flat file to smooth it out.

I installed the manual mirrors so I didn't need to make any electrical connections. It was extremely easy to do! I think the whole process took me less than an hour, and that included trimming the triangular tab. I also figured out that I didn't need to remove my speakers, just pull the doorpanel and pull back the gray covering to disconnect my old mirrors from the plug. Anyways, I hope this helps someone out, and if anyone needs anymore info, please shoot me a PM.
thanks for the pics! yes thats the tab..i used side cutters on mine lol

you have to pull the speaker for full power mirrors, its just easier that way lol
Old 03-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Oilfield Trash

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
so what do you do when theres no heating element or blinker to start with?
Old 03-09-2010, 03:34 PM

....?? you mean like to begin, the trucks to 03 was never wired for heat or signal..that ive ever seen, if you have heat kool tap into that wire..you have to make your own 4 wire harness to make those work on the 08 mirrors
Old 03-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Once you go black......

Send a message via MSN to CanadianDiesel
Sweet write-up....question though. Does anyone know which wires are for power fold and power extend???
Old 03-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDiesel View Post
Sweet write-up....question though. Does anyone know which wires are for power fold and power extend???
should be hard to figure out...lol..i figured all these wires out one by one..lol

if it was put together it should come apart..lol

ok..try these.. motor all data is saying..

With power telescoping...

left side- yellow w/ orange tracer
- violet

Right side -green w/orange tracer
- white w/ violet tracer

Power fold..

Right side- green w/ violet tracer
violet w/ brown tracer

Left side- same as other side...

lemmie know if those colours are right
Old 03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Once you go black......

Send a message via MSN to CanadianDiesel
try again
thanks man but I don't even have those colors!

nice truck by the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.