Painting Plastic Parts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Once you go black......

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to CanadianDiesel
Painting Plastic Parts

What's the best way to go about painting the door handles, mirror covers and such yourself?

Has anyone attempted this? I'm concerned about chipping and lack of adhesion...

Well with the help of all your guys' advice on painting, here's the final result. Not bad for my first painting job like this, I'm happy with the way it turned out. Not perfect, but hell it's gonna look pretty awesome once their on the truck I think.

Last edited by CanadianDiesel; 03-16-2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: added pics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I painted the inserts of my grille black (instead of argent) and I used a plastics paint. Did nothing but wipe it down with some water and the paint still looks just as good a year later.
Now for a door handle you will probably want a really glossy finish just like the rest of the trucks paint, so I'm not sure what that all entails.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:54 PM

Painting plastic is not so tough anymore, there are alot of good products out there now available in spray cans that will do the job. Thermoset plastic takes paint fairly well as long as you have a good clean surface to start. You must start with a good wax and grease remover product first, allowing it set and then wiping it down several times. If your product is not textured you can then sand it down with 1000 grit sandpaper, this is not absolutely necessary but does help the adherance by putting fine scratches into to your work increasing the mechanical bond the paint has to your product. Next a plastic adhevise promoter (plastic primer) is applied in several thin coats. Next your color coat in 3 very thin coats, and finally a clear coat should be applied in 2 to 3 coats to finish your product. I personally use SEM if I am going the spray can route on something, but that is only my opinion, and usually this must be purchased through an auto body store. If you are going off the shelf from a hardware store, Krylon fusion, or rustoleum both make a pretty good product. I would not reccomend dupli-color but again only from my own personal experience. If done right any of these products should last for years and years to come, and should be simple to apply and stress free even for the novice. Good luck, truck looks great by the way.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:58 PM

clean clean clean! make sure you clean those parts really good. I use a parts bush with dish soap for the mild degreaser. The smallest bit of film on there, even oils from you skin can make the paint not cover evenly. I use a plastics primer and paint combo for mine. all four door handles painted and 2 gauge pods. Prep work is key when painting.

I left the hadles on the truck when I painted them, just used careful tape lines and lots of plastic for overpray. And painted inside away from wind. If i do it again, i would pull them out to paint. Less chance of a run in the paint when they are horizontal instead of vertical. Not to mention overspray on the truck.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:01 PM

OBS pretty much said it all. I agree with using the SEM stuff. I couldn't find any in the right color at the local paint shop so i used Krylon Fusion and it worked great too.

pretty much do what OBS said and you'll come out ok.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Once you go black......

Send a message via MSN to CanadianDiesel
Awesome, thanks for the help guys! Great write-up obs, and thanks for the compliments on the truck
So those steps could also work on the interior for example? Thinking of giving the dash a darker look.

Thanks again fellas
Old 02-16-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obs View Post
Painting plastic is not so tough anymore, there are alot of good products out there now available in spray cans that will do the job. Thermoset plastic takes paint fairly well as long as you have a good clean surface to start. You must start with a good wax and grease remover product first, allowing it set and then wiping it down several times. If your product is not textured you can then sand it down with 1000 grit sandpaper, this is not absolutely necessary but does help the adherance by putting fine scratches into to your work increasing the mechanical bond the paint has to your product. Next a plastic adhevise promoter (plastic primer) is applied in several thin coats. Next your color coat in 3 very thin coats, and finally a clear coat should be applied in 2 to 3 coats to finish your product. I personally use SEM if I am going the spray can route on something, but that is only my opinion, and usually this must be purchased through an auto body store. If you are going off the shelf from a hardware store, Krylon fusion, or rustoleum both make a pretty good product. I would not reccomend dupli-color but again only from my own personal experience. If done right any of these products should last for years and years to come, and should be simple to apply and stress free even for the novice. Good luck, truck looks great by the way.
Well said!

Not to hijack. OBS are those Super Duty mirrors on your truck????
Old 02-16-2010, 05:49 PM

This will also work on the interior fine. However clear coat sheens may not match original the factory sheens (glossiness). So I usually would not use a clear coat on the interior, just an extra topcoat of your paint. If you use the SEM it will wear and hold up just fine without a top coat on interior surfaces.

And to 97beast those are chevy modified tow mirrors.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obs View Post

And to 97beast those are chevy modified tow mirrors.
Wow! Do you mind if you can PM me some pics of those mirrors.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:08 PM

Hey 97beast if you look in my gallery those are the only pics i've got. Sorry not sure how to pm yet. I did start a thread called new tow mirrors for obs a couple days ago and got the pics on there.

Last edited by obs; 02-16-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.