05 Headlight Conversion Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 Headlight Conversion Question

This has probably been asked but I cant find it in here. Do the headlights come with the mounts so they can be adjusted, or that something else that needs to bought? Also if just using the stock bulbs for the 05 is all that is needed is the correct plug for the bulb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The 05 headlights have two screws to adjust the beam output. It is strongly recommended that you use relays for the bulbs as they draw more power than the stock harness was designed for. You don't necessarily have to buy an expensive adapter pigtail with relays, if you are comfortable with some basic wiring, you just need two plugs for the bulbs, two relays, two fuse holders with 15a fuses, ~15' 14ga wire and some terminals to attach everything to the battery.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:12 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
They don't draw any additional wattage and adding a harness won't stop the problem from the design of the H13 which is quite possibly the stupidest design for a bulb ever foisted on the public.
The terminals are so small that they overheat, even at stock wattages, and melt the plastic
housing of the connectors. Higher than stock wattage bulbs are offered, but not recommended
and no harness will fix the problem of to small of terminals.

Kits are made to adapt to your harness to the H13.

If your looking for better lighting these are going backwards..only way to get additional light is to use a illegal Hid kit.

You have the best headlight housings made now ..'02-04 and the addition of a USA made harness and a set of Hella 80/100w 4k kelvin bulbs will give you fantastic lighting.

You can also do a fog bulb upgrade..75% as bright as Hids and mod the switch to use them with your high beams.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:11 PM

'02-'04 maybe the best but not the best looking!
Old 01-14-2010, 01:38 AM

I was looking for form and function. I think the 05 lights look great but if the output is not there then the swap just doesnt seem worth it. Any other ideas and opinions are appreciated. Anything would be better than the dim yellowish lights I have.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:23 AM

I'm in Cincinnati as well so let me know if you want to meet up and compare.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:22 AM
Serving Our Country!

I can't say about the 02-04 or even new 99-01, but the 05's I installed to replace my yellowed 00's make a huge difference. I could barely see down the road at night with my 00's, and with the 05's I can see everything again. Granted, this is with relays and 14ga wire so the voltage drop is minimal.

Last edited by JSchuricht; 01-14-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:27 AM

I love my '05-'07 front end and headlights. I feel the headlight beam pattern is great. It definitely makes a difference to have the headlight adjusted properly to get good coverage and sight distance though. Not too high, not too low, not too narrow etc. It took me several nights of adjusting and driving to get them right, but i couldn't be happier with them (unless i upgraded to HIDs).

I also did the bright box mod to have both high beam and low beam on at the same time and later added the fog lights with high beam mod. So now when I turn on the brights, everything is on. This is the next best thing to HIDs imo. I did a 2000 mile trip from Atlanta to CT and back over the holidays driving through the night to avoid traffic. I had the high beams on most of the way. After the trip I checked all wires and harnesses for signs of stress and found none. The jury's still out on this though so I will continue to make sure the wiring can handle the load of high, lows, and fogs at once.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:39 AM
Serving Our Country!

I don't see the harness being an issue. My setup is basically a homemade bright box so the high beams also turn on the low beams. This is essentially doubling the current through the negative terminal and I have seen no signs of failure. I don't mean to start any arguments, but I believe the terminal issue is a vary minimal group of people having issues. There are many that have posted about upgrading to 05's, but only one that I have noticed on this forum that has had issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.