I just got raped.......HELP ADVICE NEEDED - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Rockstar Edition Send a message via Yahoo to Rockstar Edition
I just got raped.......HELP ADVICE NEEDED

hey guys so I took my truck( well my family took my truck ) to a painter in Elkhart Indiana. the painter has talked to me about a few things he NEEDED to do on the truck to get the parts to fit, and the original quote was 250 dollars, I WAS GOOD WITH THAT! well I just got my bill and he did a bunch of work without my consent and knowledge, and now I don't know what to do. I just got off the phone with him and my bill is 1090 dollars. the work he did to the truck was
paint and fit hood( NOT asked to install )
paint and fit rollpan ( NOT asked to install )
paint and fit 08 tailgate ( NOT asked to install )
paint and install 4 smooth door handles( NOT asked to install )
smooth and paint front bumper pad( asked to do this )
went around and touched up paint around the body ( NOT asked to do this )
installed 08 fender vents ( NOT asked to do this either )
and when he did the door handles he smoothed my original front door handles BECAUSE HE ASSUMED I wanted keyholes ( I ordered 4 rear door handles, OBVIOUSLY I DIDN'T WANT KEYHOLES )......

what would you guys do in my predicament? I really need help here, I feel that I have been pretty wronged here as his word was 250 dollars to just paint everything......I really don't know what to do here and don't know how to even bring up this situation, because he won't release my truck to my family again until the 1090 is paid.......HELP ME!!!!

Chad

by the way he's sending me pics of his EXCELLENT work tomorrow....I guess what gets me the most is I had a quote of 1320 to completely repaint my truck in ANY color I chose from a custom shop down in florida that's why the 250 was not a big deal to me right now, but the 1090 really cuts me deep! I will NEVER go to this said company again and will advise people NOT to go to this company so they don't get screwed too, if you want to know the name of the company and you're local to SW Michigan PM me and I'll tell you the name as I don't want to down a company here on the board.....

HELP!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

what is indiana's written estimate policy? most states say that if work is too exceed acertain dollar amount, they must seek your approval by providing you a written estimate that you must consent to, i'd check that
Old 12-29-2009, 03:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to pinkfloyd
sounds like miscomunication. at least I would hope so. Talk to him and see if you can negotiate a fair price for both of you.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Rockstar Edition Send a message via Yahoo to Rockstar Edition
it was a mans word estimate, he knew what he'd been asked to do front forward and never wrote an estimate....over the past few weeks( he's had the truck since 12 Dec 09) and I made sure and check up on him to see when it was gonna be finished...well it was finished late and now it's going to cost me MORE than that because now I have to send me wife back to Michigan to pick up the truck( plane ticket-100 bucks ) and drive it back to Virginia so it's there and we have a vehicle when I get home. I don't know what to do , he has been asked the last 5 times I'd called about a quote to get the exact numbers "and he hadn't figured one out yet, but it "shouldn't" be more than 450-500( hell I was even ok with that ), I am SO pissed off right now Im shaking.

Chad
Old 12-29-2009, 03:56 PM

Coming from a former bodyman.....NEVER let any shop do any work without a written estimate unless it is going to be an under the table deal and he offers no guarantee with the work.

I don't know who you are going to for these estimates of a full paint job, but a POS Maaco job costs more than $1300. A real quality paint job is well in the $2-3K at a minimum range. Hell, primer, sealer, paint, clear, etc. alone on a full size truck is easily in the $500 range.

Whether he did unwanted work is moot at this point because obviously you don't know the guy well enough to do a cash deal. If he did all that work and it is high quality, it is a bargain. If it's backyard quality, that's a different story.

ETA: If you got bad vibes long ago due to the "I haven't figured it out yet" answer, you should have pulled the plug. ALWAYS trust your instincts.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Banned

well he's not a backyard guy, no I COULDN'T sign a written estimate, Im still deployed. I guess he just decided to do all the unwanted work and rape me for it later, but I really don't know what to do. and the estimate of 1300 was through my father in laws connections at a body shop in Melbourne. I should have just gone that route now the more I think about it and I could have had my truck painted in amarillo yellow, but looks like it's gonna be a few more years before I do that!
Chad
Old 12-29-2009, 04:07 PM

My first step would be a compalint to the BBB here : Home - Northern Indiana BBB

and to here: Office of the Indiana Attorney General - Greg Zoeller
Old 12-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Banned

thank you bud,

I was reading though and with both you have to have original copies of the transaction, all I have in writing NOW is a bill for 1090 dollars since we agreed verbally on the quote of 250 dollars.........am I stuck with paying this 1100 dollar bill?

Chad
Old 12-29-2009, 04:13 PM

I would def lodge a complaint with the Att Gen of indiana...many businesses act all tough until someone calls them on their BS and they sing a different tune when they receive that letter from the Att Gen asking what is going on......i know from first hand experience on both ends.....i hope you get things worked out and it was a mis understanding, not some douche bag trying to screw over a deployed soldier
Old 12-29-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99250on14inches View Post
, no I COULDN'T sign a written estimate, Im still deployed.
Damn, that is really lame. Guy definitely took advantage of that fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianstew View Post
I would def lodge a complaint with the Att Gen of indiana...many businesses act all tough until someone calls them on their BS and they sing a different tune when they receive that letter from the Att Gen asking what is going on....
It will take quite a while for them to investigate and issue a letter if at all. Problem with that is until the douche gets paid, he more than likely won't release the truck.

Getting the AG involved after the fact will only maybe get some money back down the road, maybe not.

Sad fact is that Chad is probably going to end up having to pay the bill and chalk it up to a learning experience.

And Chad, Thanks for your service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.