HID Projector Retrofit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HID Projector Retrofit

Now before I even start I don't want anyone saying any of the following...
Get some silverstars
Get an HID kit
Get ebay Halogen projectors and put silverstars in it
Get ebay halogen projectors and put an HID kit in it

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being a dick about this but I'm tired of seeing people claim that HID kits in our stock halogen reflector are better than OEM HID projectors.

Now has anyone done an HID projector retrofit into our halogen reflector headlights? I've searched and searched and can't find anyone that has done a TRUE HID retrofit. I'm trying to get my hands on a set of TSX or S2K projectors maybe even e55 projectors to get ready and do a retrofit. I'd love to hear from someone that has done this on a Superduty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 08:33 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hope it works out..love to see a real Hid conversion with correct focusing
Old 12-29-2009, 09:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to FastFocus
i would love to see this done as well in 05+ lights.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

interesting post, Retro-solutions has a 35 watt HID Projector with hi/low beam that fits into the 9007 bulb hole also has led halo rings too.....they are preported to make awesome products although I have not tried any....have a look on PSN as they are a sponsor there and have a thread going about it...

Oops DieselNoob just re-read your post and the above is not what you asked however maybe an option.....will agree with you have not seen anyone do a retrofit on OBS or SD have seen a few done on imports with good to questionable results.....using true stock projectors which you mentioned....may want to check some tuner sights....I know you (might) rather eat bees but some have good info about it....just can't remember any I have looked at lately....sorry...

jrc

Last edited by jcart; 12-29-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:38 AM

I am in the middle of a retrofit using tl projectors. I will post up some pics as I am getting close. Check out ford - trucks .com and look up laxplaya21 he did a retrofit on an 06. Also search hid planet .com there is a lot of info on there. I am going bixenon with the tl's and would recommend going bixenon instead of the s2000 or tsx. I understand that both of those projectors are very very highly recommended. I cant give up my high beam thats just me. Good luck
Old 12-29-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcart View Post
interesting post, Retro-solutions has a 35 watt HID Projector with hi/low beam that fits into the 9007 bulb hole also has led halo rings too.....they are preported to make awesome products although I have not tried any....have a look on PSN as they are a sponsor there and have a thread going about it...

Oops DieselNoob just re-read your post and the above is not what you asked however maybe an option.....will agree with you have not seen anyone do a retrofit on OBS or SD have seen a few done on imports with good to questionable results.....using true stock projectors which you mentioned....may want to check some tuner sights....I know you (might) rather eat bees but some have good info about it....just can't remember any I have looked at lately....sorry...

jrc
I'm on a few tuner sites because of my integras and it's pretty easy to do a retrofit on them because they already have halogen projectors that you just can replace with HID projectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeproc View Post
I am in the middle of a retrofit using tl projectors. I will post up some pics as I am getting close. Check out ford - trucks .com and look up laxplaya21 he did a retrofit on an 06. Also search hid planet .com there is a lot of info on there. I am going bixenon with the tl's and would recommend going bixenon instead of the s2000 or tsx. I understand that both of those projectors are very very highly recommended. I cant give up my high beam thats just me. Good luck
I am a member of hidplanet .com and they have some fantastic information. I've been researching this for awhile on that site. I checked out laxplaya21's thread and he has some great information. I'm trying to get him to pm me back though on how he was able to secure the projector to the housing/headlight. I was thinking about going tl's but I've found they are a lot harder to find than tsx's. I figure with the light output I may not need the high beam but if I can find a pair of tl's for a good price than I'll do that. Plus they seem to be a tad bigger. We'll see. Keep me posted on your progress.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would like to see this done as well but have not actually heard of anyone doing it.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Premium Member

Im very interested to see how this project turns out
Old 12-29-2009, 01:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to FastFocus
i looked at laxplaya21's headlights, and while the projector idea is the best way to do it, and he did a great job. I am not a fan of the black behind the projector. I think the headlights would look better if he did it to some Harley edition lights, or if he left the background chrome.
other than that, he did an awesome job.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFocus View Post
i looked at laxplaya21's headlights, and while the projector idea is the best way to do it, and he did a great job. I am not a fan of the black behind the projector. I think the headlights would look better if he did it to some Harley edition lights, or if he left the background chrome.
other than that, he did an awesome job.
I'm not positive but I think the reason why he made it black is because of the possible light that will leak out and cause unnecessary glare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.