Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

tow hooks bolts?

10K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  1tonpower 
#1 ·
Alright so I'm changing my 99' tow hooks to the 05+ style and the design is different. My old bolts aren't long enough. My question is does anyone have a set?

2nd question is what is the size of these things (metric obviously since not one bolt and home depot would screw in..)
I want to get stainless bolts to hold them in as well...that's just how I am. If I can avoid rust I will at a higher cost:nod:

Any help would be appreciated

#2 ·
unsure of the size. Go to a ace hardware or an orchard supply . They will have stainless. they are probably metric. just find a metric nut your bolt will screw into

#11 ·
I'm going to a place tomorrow that specializes in this..hopefully they have what I'm looking for

Yes, with a little cutting. The bolt pattern is exactly the same and takes the same bolts. There is a bracket welded on that needs to be remove so the hooks can mount just like the 99-02s do. It's not hard and the result is significant difference (for the better) than the old tow hook style.
Cool, didn't think they mounted the same as before, even with mods.

I'm under the impression that normal stainless bolts are not graded (grade 5, 8, etc). I've heard they do make graded stainless bolts but they are harder to find and even more expensive than regular stainless bolts.
Can anyone confirm if that is correct?
Hopefully I'll find them. Main reason I'm getting these is that I bought the chrome 05 tow hooks and I have seen many that are stained with rust, Just trying to avoid that

#3 ·
I just went from no tow hooks on my early bird to the '08 style and they are even more stout than the 05. Couldn't believe the difference.

#4 ·
The 08 hooks fit the 99+ trucks??

#5 ·
Yes, with a little cutting. The bolt pattern is exactly the same and takes the same bolts. There is a bracket welded on that needs to be remove so the hooks can mount just like the 99-02s do. It's not hard and the result is significant difference (for the better) than the old tow hook style.

#7 ·
Just snapped these pics to give you an idea:

The 2008 tow hooks mount to the frame and there is a bracket that you have to remove which attaches to the bumper.

#8 ·
I'm under the impression that normal stainless bolts are not graded (grade 5, 8, etc). I've heard they do make graded stainless bolts but they are harder to find and even more expensive than regular stainless bolts.
Can anyone confirm if that is correct?

#9 ·
Can't confirm for sure, but since my truck didn't have the tow hooks to begin with, I got my bolts at home depot.

#12 ·
Tow hooks are the things on the front bumper, or..?

And I work at a harware store. If you can figure out the size, I can probably get what you need.

#15 ·
Nor will you be able to. It's beyond me why they decided to alter the design. They've made it weaker if you ask me...reverse engineering:doh::doh:

#18 ·
Sweet, great deal. Is the top black though? Mine are chromed completely :dunno:
Mine have been sitting around, I'm still looking for stainless bolts...

#21 ·
Yes, the top is black. I don't know why they're not totally chrome :dunno: It doesn't matter to me since you can't see the black part anyway.

Are these 05 or 08 tow hooks?
Definitely 05 hooks. IIRC, the 08's don't curve down like the earlier ones. They're stamped with a Ford logo and there's 2 different "part numbers". I've tried to google the #'s but didn't come up with anything :doh:

#25 ·
Matt, just so you know, you need 12x1.75 bolts that are 50 mm long. After buying 24 bolts, I now know :doh:

Finally got them on :D
Awesome, thanks for the info Eric.

Bolt Depot - Nuts and Bolts, Screws and Fasteners online if they done have it, theres no such thing, stay away from stainless. i wouldnt trust them under a heavy load.
Great link man, thanks:thumb: They have a LOT of hardware...

I agree. Stainless is good for light duty.....
Stainless is weaker?:dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.