Adding fog lights to late 99 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 7.3L Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Adding fog lights to late 99

I just bought a set of factory fog lights for $50. I figured I could just put them on since my light switch pulls out. I looked inside my bumper today and it doesn't look as though I have the holes for me to put the lights and brackets onto.

Were there 2 bumpers for the late 99? One for a fog light setup and one without???

If so, does anyone have pics of this setup and how to install the fog lights on a bumper that has no holes for the fog light brackets?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2009, 12:30 PM

I am really surprised they are not there. Make sure there is enough material left and then just drill and mount them.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:02 PM

My late 99 is the same way- I don't think any of them had fog lights. I don't have a wiring harness for them, or the designated place to mount them. You can probably use the factory switch somehow, but you should put the fog lights on their own circuit. Do a search on here, and you'll find lots more info.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
just drill em in the bumper. i still need to get the harness somehow.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:26 PM

I am not sure. I will try though. I think I may just run them on their own circiut. Just cut off the connection and run the wires to a direrct hot and then put the ground on a toggle switch in the cab. Any reason why not?
Old 11-29-2009, 06:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to joeniel
Maybe, use a relay thats triggered off of the parking light circuit, which would put them on with parking lights only, as well as with headlights (since parking lights are on with headlights). If you want an off option, when you splice into the parking light circuit, splice in behind the headlight switch and put a toggle in mounted somewhere in cab, then go to the relay. On relay: #87- fused 12v in, #86- wire from toggle switch from parking lights, #85- ground, #30- to fog lights. If you dont want a toggle, then splice into parking light curcuit under hood and go rite to 86. Doing it this way, you wont pull power from the stock circuits, and there wont be any extra switches if you dont want any. The only time the toggle would be used (if you choose to put it in) would be if you wanted the fogs off for some reason. You can get an auto relay, as well as a 3"x2"x1" project enclosure from radio shack (taken from stumpy's reverse light mod).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by joeniel; 11-29-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeniel View Post
Maybe, use a relay thats triggered off of the parking light circuit, which would put them on with parking lights only, as well as with headlights (since parking lights are on with headlights). If you want an off option, when you splice into the parking light circuit, splice in behind the headlight switch and put a toggle in mounted somewhere in cab, then go to the relay. On relay: #87- fused 12v in, #86- wire from toggle switch from parking lights, #85- ground, #30- to fog lights. If you dont want a toggle, then splice into parking light curcuit under hood and go rite to 86. Doing it this way, you wont pull power from the stock circuits, and there wont be any extra switches if you dont want any. The only time the toggle would be used (if you choose to put it in) would be if you wanted the fogs off for some reason. You can get an auto relay, as well as a 3"x2"x1" project enclosure from radio shack (taken from stumpy's reverse light mod).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Wow not that is some detail. i am a little lost with the "#87-fused......etc" not sure what all those numbers and wires are. Can you dumb it down for me...
Old 11-30-2009, 09:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to joeniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick883 View Post
Wow not that is some detail. i am a little lost with the "#87-fused......etc" not sure what all those numbers and wires are. Can you dumb it down for me...
On a relay (like the one used HERE in stumpys write up for reverse lights), there are 4 terminals. 12v in, 12v out, ground, and on/off. They are numbered 87, 30, 85, 86, respectively. Basically, when the parking lights are turned on, the powered wire from the parking lights acts as a switch/trigger that tells the relay to connect the 12v feed (which you have to fuse) with the 12v out, so you get power to the fogs, but arent straining the existing system or blowing fuses etc. If you put a switch in the wire the comes from the parking light circuit before it gets to the relay, you can turn it to the off position, so the powered "switch" line wont make it to the relay, and the lights wont turn on... but once again, you dont need the toggle if you dont want it, or you could put it in, and leave it on all the time, and hide it, just incase you ever need to turn the fogs off (like when you go for inspection, youd want to turn them off so they wont be on with the high beams).

Once again, basically Stumpys mod, but activated in a diff way.

Last edited by joeniel; 11-30-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.