Trans Swap Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trans Swap Question

I have a f-450 07' with a 6.0 and has catastrophic engine failure. I also have a 2002 f250 PSD almost 200,000 miles with tranny issues. It is a work truck that i bought a couple years ago that has been used and abused the front leaf springs are bowed backwards, the sway bar pops and the bushings are worn out, and one of the mounts to the front axle has been welded on. The powersteering has issues and about 3 times a year it blows the high pressure powersteering line out. Long story short it needs work.
What is my best option to make one good truck. Can the 5R110W be put in my 2002? Can the front end components be transferred over? I love the extra braking power of the 450 and sharper turning.
Should i sell the 250 while its running minus the tranny prob (which is only a big deal in cold weather and while towing), and scrap the 450?
I probably not going to b happy with a different truck, i love the 7.3 but hate the 4r100. The f450 was given to me by a rich buddy of mine who was so pissed just wanted it out of his field. So keep that in mind in giving me advice. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 10:45 PM
OperationSmile.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch954 View Post
What is my best option to make one good truck. Can the 5R110W be put in my 2002? No the computers are differant.Can the front end components be transferred over?Yes but it would be a whole lot of work I love the extra braking power of the 450 and sharper turning.
Should i sell the 250 while its running minus the tranny prob (which is only a big deal in cold weather and while towing), and scrap the 450? I would sell one and use the money from the other to repair the other truck
I probably not going to b happy with a different truck, i love the 7.3 but hate the 4r100.Why do you hate the 4r100? Because of its lack of ability to handle abuse? Why not buy a built tranny from BTS or John Woods for it? The f450 was given to me by a rich buddy of mine who was so pissed just wanted it out of his field. So keep that in mind in giving me advice. Thanks
My answers are in red. I would sell the 450 for as much as you can, buy a new trans for the 250 and use the rest to fix whatever you can.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ive heard of TCM? computers that will link up to the computer for the 5r110w and be able to make it compatible. It could just b the valve body wrong with my 4r100. I just really would like to make a truck that is the best of both worlds. If u think i can sell the parts for the 450 and buy a good tranny than that may b the route i will go.
What about the option of puttin the 7.3 in the 450? My problem with the 450 is i dont have a title to it, and my buddy that gave it to me is currently overseas and i dont kno how big of an ordeal that would be. Anyways, any other suggestions?
Old 01-30-2009, 11:57 AM
OperationSmile.org

Best bet would be to part the 450 out then. Sure you can get a TCM but they are pricey and not worth the money IMO.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
No one makes a adapter to fit the 5r110w on a 7.3
Old 01-31-2009, 06:53 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch954 View Post
I have a f-450 07' with a 6.0 and has catastrophic engine failure. I also have a 2002 f250 PSD almost 200,000 miles with tranny issues. It is a work truck that i bought a couple years ago that has been used and abused the front leaf springs are bowed backwards, the sway bar pops and the bushings are worn out, and one of the mounts to the front axle has been welded on. The powersteering has issues and about 3 times a year it blows the high pressure powersteering line out. Long story short it needs work.
What is my best option to make one good truck. Can the 5R110W be put in my 2002? Can the front end components be transferred over? I love the extra braking power of the 450 and sharper turning.
Should i sell the 250 while its running minus the tranny prob (which is only a big deal in cold weather and while towing), and scrap the 450?
I probably not going to b happy with a different truck, i love the 7.3 but hate the 4r100. The f450 was given to me by a rich buddy of mine who was so pissed just wanted it out of his field. So keep that in mind in giving me advice. Thanks

If you part out the 450, can I get dibs on your front fender flares?
Old 01-31-2009, 03:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright, well if any one needs any part off the 450 let me know. They r sum hellacious fender flares, but they do keep mud and rocks under the truck. Im sure alot of the engine stuff is still good too if anyone needs any of that.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:29 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

So what do you want for the flares? Sent to 28732 please. Need the brackets and hardware too for these. gonna look good on my dually!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.